Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Webinar May 15 - Data Management & Exploitation for the Utilities Industry
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome once again to our Tuesday morning GIS / Geo tech news roundup...
to begin, some details of an online webinar taking place this morning - act fast and you'll have plenty of time to register. Joing Intergraph in their continuing webinar series with today's event, "Data Management & Exploitation for the Utilities Industry". Scheduled to run at 10 AM (Eastern time) Intergraph will demonstrate how easy it is to use their remote sensing and data management tools for data analysis and organization of data assets. During the event the crew will illustrate several remote sensing applications for utility asset management that enable you to detect changes in geospatial imagery and LiDAR data to monitor transmission corridors, power lines and poles, and analyze for vegetation encroachment. See more details here
or register directly here
. Also on the topic of events, URISA has announced plans for session #2 of a webinar series specifically for those of you interested in LiDAR. Part two of the series, Project Planning, is scheduled for Wednesday, May 23rd - see complete details HERE
. Oh, and please don't forget that the awesome LiDARnews.com
(@lidarnews) is open 24/7 for everything you need to know about LiDAR!
Some recent of the updates and tech tips I've shared with the community via the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
) this week - hopefully you've been checking the blog periodically...
An unconference for you WhereCamp enthusiasts in germany this June - WhereCamp Berlin - Save the Date, June 22-23;
Video - 3D Urban Planning Visualization With CityEngine - an impressive demo in this video; The new Bing Social Search - get the low-down in this video from Microsoft; Video - What Does the Army Geospatial Center Do?
Finally, please be sure to browse the career center
for some new opportunities, those of you hiring I encourage you to try the board and list your next job opp there for some great exposure. Finally, I encourage you to join us on facebook
, and in our popular LinkedIn Group
. Have a great week everyone!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by SAIC|
SAIC GeoRover® products provide powerful tools for Esri® ArcGIS® and Google® Earth designed to increase speed, efficiency, and productivity in common GIS workflows. For nearly a decade, GeoRover products have enabled GIS users across all fields to streamline the process of collecting, creating, editing, and sharing data for analysis.
Download now for free.
Expert Feature - Geospatial technology in 5 to 10 years
- It's quite interesting to try to think ten years out, and there's quite a bit of detail I had to cut out to get to 1000 words. I'll expand on some of these topics in future posts and in some of my upcoming talks - Readon in this contribution from industry expert, Peter Batty (@pmbatty)
Video - What Does the Army Geospatial Center Do?
- Ever wonder about the US Army and the Army Geospatial Center? If so then check out this informative video for a look at the org. The Army Geospatial Center coordinates, integrates and synchronizes geospatial information requirements and standards across the Army.
Feature - Value Case for Google Fusion Tables
- Fusion Tables has been floating around Google Labs for a couple of years, graduating in 2010 and recently footing some improvements. You can access Fusion Tables while logged in under the Google top bar: More > Even more > Innovation. Read on for more on Fusion Tables in this contributed article...
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Save the Date - Upcoming WhereCamp Berlin 2012, June 22-23
- For the second consecutive year, WhereCamp Berlin is bringing together the best and brightest trendsetters, researchers and educators in location and geography.
More news - LBSZONE.com /
Mobile Tech News
Geo Data News
First Look - MapSocial (Beta) Real Time Social Mapping In Facebook - This week I've been messing around a bit with MapSocial, a new, real time mapping service for facebook - I'm also pleased to boast that I think I may have been one of the first public users of this cool service! The application is still in Beta, however, you are invited to jump in and create your own maps, share them with friends, and invite others to contribute
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by ERDAS and Intergraph|
GeoMedia® Smart Client makes your organization progressive, enabling all users to seamlessly integrate geographic changes into configurable workflows. Your end-users will be able to leverage advanced geospatial functionality via simple-to-use map-based tools, streamlining their processes and honing their expertise. These vibrant geospatial business workflows provide a level of sophistication not supported by legacy out-of-the-box horizontal software products. With GeoMedia Smart Client, workflow optimization and intuitive web editing will be a reality embraced across your organization.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
123D Catch for iPad from Autodesk
123D Catch is now available for iPad on the App Store. This new free* app lets users take images from their iPad camera and upload them to the Autodesk cloud service that transforms the images into a 3D model. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing GEO-Jobe GIS Consulting
- GEO-Jobe GIS Consulting is a nationally acclaimed and Esri award-winning GIS Consulting Firm with offices in Nashville, TN and Phoenix, AZ. GEO-Jobe GIS provides advanced GIS and GPS digital mapping solutions to private and public organizations throughout United States..Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|MAPublisher® transforms Adobe®Illustrator® into powerful map making software. It bridges the gap between geographic information systems and graphic design to make cartography fast, easy and efficient. Features include support for all major GIS data formats, including Esri shapefiles and geodatabases, geospatial PDF export, export to Flash maps and automated labeling.|
Visit Avenza for more information.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Video - Hexagon Conference Sights and Sounds - Ever wondered what it's like attending a Hexagon conference? This year's Think Forward 2012 Hexagon conference is scheduled to take place June 4-7 in Las Vegas and will host thousands of professionals that use solutions from ERDAS, Intergraph, and Leica Geosystems, all under one roof.
Nokia Developer - Ready.Set () [Code} Challenge - Here's details of a cool developer event from Nokia developer, perhaps coming to a city near you. Events coming to Atlanta, Boston, Chevy Chase, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New York, Ohio State, San Diego, Sunnyvale, Toronto, Vancouver
LiDAR Technologies 2012 - View best of breed LiDAR technologies and case studies in Australia's only 2 day workshop dedicated to LiDAR. Understand how this disruptive technology can help your business improve productivity and drive down spatial workflow costs. The LiDAR Technologies 2012 Workshop runs from June 7th - 8th
The Location Business Summit Europe 2012 - The 3rd annual Location Business Summit Europe is the biggest meeting place for hands on knowledge and networking within the mobile and location industry. Following our blockbuster events in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam last year, the biggest and best companies in the community will come together at the most influential LBS focused summit in the world. Save the date - May 22-23, 2012, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, Amsterdam
Esri Education GIS Conference - Through technical sessions, hands-on workshops, and user presentations, the Esri Education GIS Conference provides unique learning opportunities to help you and your educational institution maximize its investment in GIS. July 21-24, 2012, San Diego CA.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Analyst (Texas)
- This position will be the centralized GIS resource for internal customers, which includes: creating models and geoprocessing scripts, establishing departmental mapping standards with templates, promoting corporate data standards, assisting in recommending and coordinating user training, and connecting department users with GIS resources.
GIS Developer (VA)
- Overview: INDUS Corporation, 15th largest IT support services firm in Washington DC area is looking for an innovative Geospatial developer with multiplatform experience who will provide federal clients with fresh approaches to mapping and web services, including mobile applications.
- The Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County are looking for GIS professionals with all levels of experience. The Districts provide innovative and cost-effective wastewater and solid waste management and in so doing, convert waste into resources such as recycled water, energy and recycled materials.
GIS Analyst - Sacramento, CA
- ICF International (NASDAQ:ICFI) partners with government and commercial clients to deliver professional services and technology solutions. Our Environment and Planning division provides a range of consulting services in environmental analysis and compliance (e.g., NEPA), land use planning, transmission planning, public affairs, permitting (e.g., renewable energy) and other emerging market sectors.
Corporate GIS Manager
- The Corporate GIS Manager for the Bureau of Technology Services manages the technical team that builds and operates the City's Enterprise GIS. This position will use their experience working with enterprise GIS products, including those from ESRI.
Career Hunting Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions
- Finding a job can be a daunting task but it doesn't have to be. Many are turning to social media, in particular Twitter, to help score a new gig. Here's some helpful social media job hunting resources, a few tips, and some simple ideas that could help.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Get into Google+
- From personalized search results to instant photo uploads, you will soon see the value of Google+ even beyond its main benefit: sharing and discovering content that you are interested in. Being familiar with Google+ and how it works is a good idea - and not just for your online social life.
Enterprise Mobility for Dummies
- Enterprise mobility concerns employees at every level. As you plan for 2012, let this book show you how easy it can be to mobilize--and transform--your enterprise.
From application development and deployment to management and security, any company can do it. Download your eBook guide now!
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list