Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Webinars - May 2012 3D Data in Global Mapper & Blue Marble Desktop
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome to the Thursday edition of the GISuser Geo tech news roundup. Today I'm pleased to share details of a pretty sweet service developed by some web savvy Geo developers (in business for more than 20 years) who are located just down the road from yours truly, CloverPoint Cartographics. Housed in some new digs on the top floor of a sweet building in the heart of the B.C capital, CloverPoint has rolled out their much anticipated MapSocial social mapping
application for facebook. This innovative service lets facebook users create and share their own maps, include photos, search and add foursquare POIs and much more. The possibilities are huge and the fact that this is a true mapping service for facebook, developed by GeoGeeks, makes it even more attractive to me. The app is in early stage (hence the Beta), however, you are encouraged to check it out, test it, break it, and start sharing maps with your social circles... great stuff here and I can't wait to see where this one goes from here! Speaking of new apps, I've also heard from the gang in Missoula at GCS Research about their latest update to their site selection app, Montana Site Selector
, an innovative app developed specifically for Realtors, Businesses and Economic Developers. SiteSelector ensures that business professionals have access to the most up-to-date and authoritative information on available commercial properties - a great idea! Kudos to Alex and crew...
Some recent of the updates and tech tips I've shared with the community via the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
) this week - hopefully you've been checking the blog periodically...
Video - CityEngine in Lumion + SketchUp + 3DMax = wow, this is impressive; Research on Public Use of WiFi via Smartphone and Tablets; an informative MMA Infographic on How Much People Love their Mobile Device; Samsung GALAXY S III With Android 4.0 and 10 Cool Features; Video - Take 3D Photo Tours in Google Maps.
Finally, please be sure to browse the career center
for some new opportunities, those of you hiring I encourage you to try the board and list your next job opp there for some great exposure. Companies, contractors, developers and others, see also our growing industry directory
and be sure to add your free listing in an appropriate category - it's free, why wouldn't you want to?? Finally, be sure to join us on facebook
, and in our massively popular LinkedIn Group
. Have a great week...
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
First Look - MapSocial (Beta) Real Time Social Mapping In Facebook
- This week I've been messing around a bit with MapSocial, a new, real time mapping service for facebook - I'm also pleased to boast that I think I may have been one of the first public users of this cool service! The application is still in Beta, however, you are invited to jump in and create your own maps, share them with friends, and invite others to contribute
Feature - Value Case for Google Fusion Tables
- Fusion Tables has been floating around Google Labs for a couple of years, graduating in 2010 and recently footing some improvements. You can access Fusion Tables while logged in under the Google top bar: More > Even more > Innovation. Read on for more on Fusion Tables in this contributed article...
Event of Interest - LiDAR Technologies 2012
- An interesting event for those of you Down-Under interested in LiDAR... View best of breed LiDAR technologies and case studies in Australia's only 2 day workshop dedicated to LiDAR. Understand how this disruptive technology can help your business improve productivity and drive down spatial workflow costs.
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
123D Catch for iPad from Autodesk
123D Catch is now available for iPad on the App Store. This new free* app lets users take images from their iPad camera and upload them to the Autodesk cloud service that transforms the images into a 3D model. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Geosoft
Since 1986, Geosoft has helped earth explorers make discoveries through data. Geosoft technology is industry-standard for mapping and modelling the Earth's subsurface, and for managing large geoscience data.Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by Penn State World Campus|
Professionals in the demanding field of GIS and geospatial intelligence can advance their skills, knowledge, and careers through the highly regarded online graduate programs, offered by Penn State's World Campus. Get the flexibility of online courses - studying whenever and where you want - plus ongoing interaction with expert educators and fellow graduate students.
Visit Penn State World Campus online for more info.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Nokia Developer - Ready.Set () [Code} Challenge - Here's details of a cool developer event from Nokia developer, perhaps coming to a city near you. Events coming to Atlanta, Boston, Chevy Chase, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami, New York, Ohio State, San Diego, Sunnyvale, Toronto, Vancouver
LiDAR Technologies 2012 - View best of breed LiDAR technologies and case studies in Australia's only 2 day workshop dedicated to LiDAR. Understand how this disruptive technology can help your business improve productivity and drive down spatial workflow costs. The LiDAR Technologies 2012 Workshop runs from June 7th - 8th
The Location Business Summit Europe 2012 - The 3rd annual Location Business Summit Europe is the biggest meeting place for hands on knowledge and networking within the mobile and location industry. Following our blockbuster events in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam last year, the biggest and best companies in the community will come together at the most influential LBS focused summit in the world. Save the date - May 22-23, 2012, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, Amsterdam
Video - Hexagon Conference Sights and Sounds - Ever wondered what it's like attending a Hexagon conference? This year's Think Forward 2012 Hexagon conference is scheduled to take place June 4-7 in Las Vegas and will host thousands of professionals that use solutions from ERDAS, Intergraph, and Leica Geosystems, all under one roof.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Developer (VA)
- Overview: INDUS Corporation, 15th largest IT support services firm in Washington DC area is looking for an innovative Geospatial developer with multiplatform experience who will provide federal clients with fresh approaches to mapping and web services, including mobile applications.
- The Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County are looking for GIS professionals with all levels of experience. The Districts provide innovative and cost-effective wastewater and solid waste management and in so doing, convert waste into resources such as recycled water, energy and recycled materials.
GIS Analyst - Sacramento, CA
- ICF International (NASDAQ:ICFI) partners with government and commercial clients to deliver professional services and technology solutions. Our Environment and Planning division provides a range of consulting services in environmental analysis and compliance (e.g., NEPA), land use planning, transmission planning, public affairs, permitting (e.g., renewable energy) and other emerging market sectors.
Corporate GIS Manager
- The Corporate GIS Manager for the Bureau of Technology Services manages the technical team that builds and operates the City's Enterprise GIS. This position will use their experience working with enterprise GIS products, including those from ESRI.
Software Systems Engineer, Maponics (VT)
- The Software Systems Engineer is responsible for design and development activities at a systems level and for crafting software that is well written, functional, efficient, and clearly documented while exceeding the stated requirements.
Career Hunting Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions
- Finding a job can be a daunting task but it doesn't have to be. Many are turning to social media, in particular Twitter, to help score a new gig. Here's some helpful social media job hunting resources, a few tips, and some simple ideas that could help.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit Juniper Systems.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Get into Google+
- From personalized search results to instant photo uploads, you will soon see the value of Google+ even beyond its main benefit: sharing and discovering content that you are interested in. Being familiar with Google+ and how it works is a good idea - and not just for your online social life.
Java Essential Training
- The course demonstrates how to install both Java and the Eclipse IDE and dives into the particulars of programming. The course also explains the fundamentals of Java, from creating simple variables, assigning values, and declaring methods to working with strings, arrays, and subclasses; reading and writing to text files; and implementing object oriented programming concepts. Exercise files are included with the course.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list