Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Carnival of the Geospatialists #5 - Musings and Down-Right Cool Things
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome to another awesome Geo Tech news roundup. Some interesting things to share today, to begin, how cool would it be if you were a startup and President Obama took your idea for a test drive? Well, that's exactly what happened in Boulder a few days a go as the young developers at Sphero managed to get their app in his hands... kudos to them! Check out the video here
and you can read more about it on their blog
- this mobile controlled shperical robot also has an SDK so app developers can also get busy creating cool apps to run on it... awesome! Moving on, how about something totaly crazy? Recall I'm up on Vancouver Island in Canada. Well, recently all the rage up here has been about a local amateur photog who was walking around a popular waterfront spot and managed to score some amazing pics... actually, she photographed a scene that likely has never been seen before! The woman stood, watched, and snapped away as a giant octopus grabbed and devoured a seagull! Yes indeed, I'm not kidding you. The local media and the locals are all buzzing about this one as you can imagine and for all of us it's a good lesson - always have a camera with you! View the story and photos here on the popular birding blog BirdFellow
- wow! Finally, how about a Geo Tech story? Our friend Peter Batty has been very busy lately as usual, however, he's managed to pen a blog post while in between travel gigs. Be sure to run over to Peter's Geothought blog and see Peter's take on how he views the GIS/Geo tech industry 5-10 years down the road
, he has some interesting comments.
Some recent of the updates and tech tips I've shared with the community via the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
) this week - hopefully you've been checking the blog periodically... An interesting 3D visualization app, DataAppeal - 3D and animated maps on google earth platform; Video - Take 3D Photo Tours in Google Maps - You can now access photo tours which stitch together user contributed photos from around the world to give you a 3D photo scene of a place; For You Outdoor Enthusiasts... Duraflame Campfire Logs - now you can cook out while in the wild on your next field work trip;
Video - Nautical Maps, OpenStreetMap and tools to make better maps. Finally, I encourage you to check out the career center as there's been a number of new job opportunities listed. Companies looking for talent?? Come on, give it a try and post your job opportunity with us
... you won't be disappointed! Have a great week to all and be sure to follow us on Twitter @GISuser.
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by Trimble|
It no longer takes a GIS expert to add expertise to your GIS. With the new Trimble®: Juno® series get more out of the field and into your GIS than ever before. Your mobile workforce is empowered with a GPS-based data collection system for everyday field work. Delivered in a compact package resistant to dust, water, and shock, the Trimble Juno provides integrated positioning, imaging, and communications for total flexibility.
Visit Trimble.com/Juno for more info.
Sensor Applications for a Smarter World and The Internet of Things = Opportunity
- Sensors. indeed we are all sensors these days, all walking about the World, constantly connected, constantly gathering data and streaming. Interesting to read that reports show that there are now an estimated 50 billion devices that will be connected to the Internet by 2012. wow!
Tips, Tricks, OpenData, and Resources for Mobile App Developers
- Hackday events are becoming quite common, many local government agencies embracing the format and opening the doors, and their data vaults, to local developers, hackers, and those simply looking to mashup some data. Read on for Tips, Open Data sources, Developer Tools, Mobile Dev resources and more!
DataAppeal - 3D and animated maps on google earth platform
- Here's a tip off about an interesting solution for you Google Earth fanatics - DataAppeal. According to the developers, DataAppeal uses art and design to create alluring maps and images via a free, simple to use UI. The application has just received an update with some new functionality including: the option of layering multiple maps to quickly compare different data sets.
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
TeamDrive for iOS
New app for world's most popular tablet devices and smartphones makes Bring Your Own Device policies more viable. The option of running a TeamDrive server within a company's own datacenter as well as on public and private cloud makes it a highly attractive enterprise ready approach. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Blue Marble Geographics
- Blue Marble has been writing GIS software tools and solutions for 15 years and currently serves hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. Learn more at www.bluemarblegeo.com. Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by ERDAS and Intergraph|
GeoMedia® Smart Client makes your organization progressive, enabling all users to seamlessly integrate geographic changes into configurable workflows. Your end-users will be able to leverage advanced geospatial functionality via simple-to-use map-based tools, streamlining their processes and honing their expertise. These vibrant geospatial business workflows provide a level of sophistication not supported by legacy out-of-the-box horizontal software products. With GeoMedia Smart Client, workflow optimization and intuitive web editing will be a reality embraced across your organization.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Microsoft HTML5 DevCamp, Denver - Here's details of an interesting event coming to Denver, CO on May 18, particularly for those interested in the hot topic of HTML5 . About the event. The HTML5 Web Camp is an opportunity to connect with designers and developers and show you what's possible, and how you can start using it today.
The Location Business Summit Europe 2012 - The 3rd annual Location Business Summit Europe is the biggest meeting place for hands on knowledge and networking within the mobile and location industry. Following our blockbuster events in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam last year, the biggest and best companies in the community will come together at the most influential LBS focused summit in the world. Save the date - May 22-23, 2012, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, Amsterdam
Video - Hexagon Conference Sights and Sounds - Ever wondered what it's like attending a Hexagon conference? This year's Think Forward 2012 Hexagon conference is scheduled to take place June 4-7 in Las Vegas and will host thousands of professionals that use solutions from ERDAS, Intergraph, and Leica Geosystems, all under one roof.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Analyst - Sacramento, CA
- ICF International (NASDAQ:ICFI) partners with government and commercial clients to deliver professional services and technology solutions. Our Environment and Planning division provides a range of consulting services in environmental analysis and compliance (e.g., NEPA), land use planning, transmission planning, public affairs, permitting (e.g., renewable energy) and other emerging market sectors.
Corporate GIS Manager
- The Corporate GIS Manager for the Bureau of Technology Services manages the technical team that builds and operates the City's Enterprise GIS. This position will use their experience working with enterprise GIS products, including those from ESRI.
Software Systems Engineer, Maponics (VT)
- The Software Systems Engineer is responsible for design and development activities at a systems level and for crafting software that is well written, functional, efficient, and clearly documented while exceeding the stated requirements.
Spatial Analyst (VT)
- This position is responsible for the creation and management of spatial databases in support of emerging Maponics product lines in a rapid prototyping, fast-paced environment. As part of the Product Development team, you will be required to wear many hats and your projects and duties will shift frequently.
Lead GIS Developer
- General Dynamics IT has an opening for a Lead GIS Developer in New Orleans, LA. Expert-level GIS web application developer with proven experience in project management of web-based application initiatives.
Career Hunting Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions
- Finding a job can be a daunting task but it doesn't have to be. Many are turning to social media, in particular Twitter, to help score a new gig. Here's some helpful social media job hunting resources, a few tips, and some simple ideas that could help.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by the University of Denver|
The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, and the Department of Geography are partnering to offer a Master of Science in Geographic Information Science delivered online for working adults. This online Master's Degree in Geographic Information Sciences recognizes the emerging importance of geographic information science and the importance of integrating advanced study in geographic information systems, remote sensing, and global positioning systems with traditional studies in human, cultural, and physical geography.
Learn more about the University of Denver's Master of Science in Geographic Information Science
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Get into Google+
- From personalized search results to instant photo uploads, you will soon see the value of Google+ even beyond its main benefit: sharing and discovering content that you are interested in. Being familiar with Google+ and how it works is a good idea - and not just for your online social life.
Java Essential Training
- The course demonstrates how to install both Java and the Eclipse IDE and dives into the particulars of programming. The course also explains the fundamentals of Java, from creating simple variables, assigning values, and declaring methods to working with strings, arrays, and subclasses; reading and writing to text files; and implementing object oriented programming concepts. Exercise files are included with the course.
These Are The Droids You're Looking For: An Android Guide:
- Currently Android is the most common mobile operating system--and there's no sign that its popularity will wane anytime soon. If you're reading this guide, it's likely because you have an Android device. This 23 page guide will go over Android's history and the different versions on the market.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list