Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
Webinar - Safe Software, LiDAR Webinar - Thursday March 8
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome again to your Thursday Geo Tech news roundup.
To begin, in case you were in coma yesterday let me remind you that Apple has introduced the new iPad, the third generation of its awesome mobile device. There's some new functionality, perhaps most notably the crisp, high def display, improved camera, and 4G LTE. The Price Point - The new iPad Wi-Fi models will be available in black or white on Friday, March 16 for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB mode - iPad 2 (16GB) will be dropped to $399 - very nice! See more here
Are you interested in free training? A couple of noteworthy webinars are taking place this morning (so register ASAP). Don & Dale from Safe Software are goign to school folks on LiDAR at 8 AM PST (and 4PM also) in a session titled How to Prepare LIDAR Data to Meet Your Requirements - details and registration is here
If HTML5 is on your mind then take note of today's webinar from Latitude Geographics (@geocortex on Twitter) Getting Rolling in 2012 with HTML5 & Esri Technology. The 45 minute webinar runs at 10 AM (PST). see registration details HERE
. Finally, let me leave you with a nice career tip as remappingdebate.org is searching for a research and data viz genius and is coughing up $100-$125K + benefits! Check out the job ad here
- Good Luck!
Here's a few of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community via the (blog.gisuser.com
) which has been rocking lately!
The new iPAd - check out the new features and a first look; Intro and instructions for a The LinkedIn Company Follow Us Button; Webinar - How to Prepare LIDAR Data to Meet Your Requirements; A look at The Open Data Pilot Canada #OpenGov. Opportunity Knocks for Mobile Developers - Enter The AT&T Mobile App Hackathon, March 23-24 in San Diego CA. Have a great week all! You can always reach me @gletham or on @GISuser and find us on facebook
with a new FB Timeline user page!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by Penn State World Campus|
Professionals in the demanding field of GIS and geospatial intelligence can advance their skills, knowledge, and careers through the highly regarded online graduate programs, offered by Penn State's World Campus. Get the flexibility of online courses - studying whenever and where you want - plus ongoing interaction with expert educators and fellow graduate students.
Visit Penn State World Campus online for more info.
Expert feature - Learning about your community and the world with GIS
- In his typical, fun and educational approach, Joseph Kerski touches on some interesting Geo facts and history. He then leads us into details of the importance of GIS in education (his true passion) and offers up interesting real world stories.
Mobile and the New GIS Revolution
- The GIS industry and Web maps are on the verge of a revolution. Mobile is that revolution. Strong statements, but tracing the history; GIS applications first migrated from the desktop to the Web.nomenclature can be a time-consuming task. ESRI moved from ArcInfo, to ArcIMS and ArcGIS. On the Web Google introduced slippy maps and gobs of free data.
Expert Feature - Custom Mobile GIS - Web Maps & ArcGIS.com
- We launched GeoMobile for ArcGIS to both demonstrate a custom cross platform (one code base which runs on multiple platforms) mobile ArcGIS app, and experiment with porting widgets from the Flex viewer for ArcGIS. The results have been met with enthusiasm by the user community.
Prepare LiDAR Data to Meet Your Requirements
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Blue Marble Releases 13.1 Update to Global Mapper with Network Licensing and Enhanced Geospatial PDF
- This update features new network licensing, enhanced geospatial PDF support and much more. Blue Marble's geospatial data manipulation, visualization and conversion solutions are used worldwide by thousands of GIS analysts at software, oil and gas, mining, civil engineering, surveying, and technology companies, as well as governmental and university organizations.
More news - LBSZONE.com /
Mobile Tech News
Off Beat & Cool!
Foursquare Uses OpenStreetMap OSM and MapBox Streets For New, Pretty Maps - Announced recently on the official foursquare blog (reserved usually for only BIG news) foursquare seems to think that the OSM maps are pretty and thus will be treating users to the sweet OSM maps that are maintained and updated by the legion of faithful OSM mappers and partners.
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email email@example.com for more info.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
GIS Mobile Guide System on iOS Platform
- To cooperate with the development of tourism in Yuanshan Recreational Agriculture Area, the system integrates the digital guidance information of several areas, Zhenshan, Dahudi, and Hengshangto.. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Skygone Inc
- Skygone's depth and experience with geospatial technology, cloud computing, software-as-a-service (SaaS), virtualization, green technologies and data center consolidation services has made Skygone a go-to service provider for commercial and government customers around the globe.
Get Listed HERE
@gletham Social Tips
... Mashup and HackDay Tips
- Tips, Tricks, OpenData sources, and Developer Resources for Mobile Application Developers
Want More? Check out this
FYI, you can now Circle GISuser on Google+ - Find us HERE
|Sponsored by Avenza Systems|
MAPublisher® LabelPro™ offers advanced cartographic labeling for Adobe Illustrator. It includes a sophisticated and user-friendly, rule-based and collision-free placement engine that solves many common map labeling problems such as complex conflict resolution across multiple layers. Use custom rules and styles for labeling for a great level of flexibility and control.
Visit www.avenza.com for more information.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 10,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
ERDAS Webinars - From Project to Feature Collection in a Stereo Environment - Get more value from your investment in Esri GIS technology by performing your own 3D mapping inside ArcGIS! Intergraph's Stereo Analyst for ArcGIS is an extension for Esri's ArcGIS that enables you to create and revise a comprehensive database of feature data from stereo imagery, all inside the environment you are already accustomed to. March 14
Safe Software, LiDAR Webinar - Thursday March 8 - Prepare LiDAR Data to Meet Your Requirements - Find out how to quickly prepare LiDAR data to meet your requirements with FME, the leading technology for spatial data transformation. Thursday, March 8 available at two times: 8am PST or 4pm PST
Washington URISA Conference 2012 - The 2012 Washington GIS Conference - Communicating Spatial Knowledge. May 7-9 at the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center at Tacoma, Washington. The conference theme for 2012 is Communicating Spatial Knowledge.
Announcing The 2012 Esri #DevMeetup Schedule - Some news for developers interested in meeting other Esri developers or perhaps looking for a stage where they can present a lightning talk to other GeoGeek in their local tech community. Save the date, June 4-7, 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Where2.0 - where the people working on and using location technologies come together to explore best practices and emerging trends in software development, tools, business strategies, and marketing. April 2-4, 20112, San Francisco, CA.
Esri Developer Summit - The Esri Developer Summit (DevSummit) brings together developers and GIS professionals from all over the globe. March 26-29, 2012 in Palm Springs, CA. The DevSummit features user presentations detailing GIS success stories, technical sessions on hot topics and new software functionality, and one-on-one advice from Esri development staff.
Hexagon 2012 - Think Forward at the annual event, June 4-7, 2012, Las Vegas, NV
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
research and data viz genius - $100K+
- An all-in-one research and data viz genius who can help us expand and diversify significantly the map and data resources we produce. Someone who has intense curiosity about how domestic public policy reflects and is shaped by the questions that tend not to be asked by the press.
Geographic Information Systems(GIS) Programmer/Analyst, Greeley CO
- Within the IT Division under the direction of the GIS Manager, the GIS Programmer/Analyst will perform advanced levels of GIS analysis, development, and management in associated with the City's Enterprise GIS Program.
GIS Pre-sales and Support Technician (Skygone)
- Growing geospatial-focused cloud computing firm, Skygone, is looking for an entry to middle level experience GIS analyst and/or support technician with desktop, server, and web-based geospatial application experience in the Columbus, OH (Dublin) area.
Support Analyst - GIS, Charlotte (Esri)
- Do you have a unique combination of strong technical and customer service skills? Learn about the latest Esri technology in this consultative support role while providing timely, expert assistance to our customers by phone, e-mail, and chat. Join the team whose mission is to put into practice Esri's long standing commitment of servicing and responding to our user community.
Product Manager - Linear Referencing (Esri)
- Guide a team that is charged with defining, building, and releasing software products focused on linear referencing systems and highway data management. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
Using Social Media and Twitter To Land The Perfect Job - Tips, Tricks, Trends and a Happy Ending
- Like many of you, I'm sure you're astounded by the number of your contacts, friends, and associates that have changed jobs recently. I receive regular updates via my LinkedIn service that tells me just how many of my contacts have changed their job and the number blows my mind! Finding a job is challenging indeed, however, more and more folks are turning to Twitter for that edge.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by Trimble|
It no longer takes a GIS expert to add expertise to your GIS. With the new Trimble®: Juno® series get more out of the field and into your GIS than ever before. Your mobile workforce is empowered with a GPS-based data collection system for everyday field work. Delivered in a compact package resistant to dust, water, and shock, the Trimble Juno provides integrated positioning, imaging, and communications for total flexibility.
Visit Trimble.com/Juno for more info.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 19,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
77 Features For Windows 7 That Every IT Professional Should Know About
- Windows 7 builds on Windows Vista's positives and eliminates many of the negatives. It adds new functionality, is less resource-hungry, and starts and shuts down noticeably faster. Whether you're upgrading from Vista or moving up from Windows XP, these 77 tips and tricks, along with other new and enhanced features, deliver improved performance and productivity, better troubleshooting, stronger security, and a whole lot more.
Overcoming Objections to Data Governance
- Data governance is an outstanding business strategy that leads your company toward greater efficiency, lower risk and increased revenue. Proper management of data underpins the success of many strategic initiatives. However, it is not always easy for others to see its value.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list