Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
Webinar - Smart Web Editing and Workflow Optimization
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome again to another GIS / Geo Tech news roundup. Did you hear the news? Apparently the GIS Analyst
is a Laid Back Career (Ranked #4) With An Average Salary of $79+K per year - see more on this here
. Moving forward, a little info for developers and those interested in hackathons. Recall we recently introduced you to PhoneGap, an innovative opensource mobile development environment (See here
). I mention this because if you've ever been to a hackday event you likely noticed that much, if not most, of the interest from mashup artists and hackers was for mobile apps and services. I noticed myself at a recent hack event that much time, particularly for first timers, is spent searching around for data, developer tools, opensource software and other useful resources. In order to save a little time, here's a feature I put together with loads of tips about Open Data sources, Developer Tools, Mobile Dev resources opensource software tools and more! I hope you find it useful - be sure to bookmark this one!
. On the mobile front, I'm glad to share some details of a press event that Nokia livestreamed to us Tuesday from Barcelona. During the event we heard about the Nokia roadmap for 2012, saw some new devices (yes, I'm drooling over the PureView 808), heard about opportunities for developers, and perhaps most interesting, listened to details of the new Nokia Location Services focus and the big updates with Nokia Maps (think Bing maps) - catch my roundup of the press event here
. Finally, late yesterday afternoon I caught wind of the foursquare flip to OSM
for all their maps. Some pretty interesting stuff here and a big score for the team at MapBox who's helping them with their "Pretty Maps".
Here's a few of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community via the (blog.gisuser.com
) which has been rocking lately!
Opportunity Knocks for Mobile Developers - Enter The AT&T Mobile App Hackathon, March 23-24 in San Diego CA; Can free NFC Business Cards at SXSW Entice Use of NFC Codes and What About QR Code Use?
Nokia Purview 808 Smartphone Hits MWC2012 - this smartphone has a camera with a 41 megapixel sensor!
Checkin and Share on Google G+ Via the New Google Maps Mobile on Android. Finally, be sure to have a look around the GISuser career Center
as there's loads of new career opportunities listed - Good Luck! Employers, be sure to take advantage of this resource for your next hire!
Have a great week all! You can always reach me @gletham or on @GISuser and find us on facebook
with a new FB Timeline user page!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by ERDAS and Intergraph|
GeoMedia is a powerful GIS package that enables you to realize the maximum value of your geospatial resources. ERDAS IMAGINE incorporates geospatial image processing and analysis and remote sensing capabilities in one package. Now connected,users can leverage these two together, integrating imagery and terrain datafrom ERDAS IMAGINE for critical GIS and CAD updates, along with GeoMedia's comprehensive toolset for your GIS resources
Hackday - Tips, Tricks, OpenData sources, and Developer Resources for Mobile Application Developers
- Hackday events are becoming quite common, many local government agencies embracing the format and opening the doors, and their data vaults, to local developers, hackers, and those simply looking to mashup some data.
Expert Feature - Mobile and the New GIS Revolution
- The GIS industry and Web maps are on the verge of a revolution. Mobile is that revolution. Strong statements, but tracing the history; GIS applications first migrated from the desktop to the Web.nomenclature can be a time-consuming task. ESRI moved from ArcInfo, to ArcIMS and ArcGIS. On the Web Google introduced slippy maps and gobs of free data.
Nokia CEO Elop at MWC - The Road ahead, Nokia Location Services, asks Who, What, Where?
- On Tuesday Feb 28, Nokia hosted a special PR event live from Barcelona Spain at MWC 2012. The event was also live streamed (and archived) online for those of us not in attendance. On stage was Nokia CEO Stephen Elop and his top aides talking new devices, maps, and Nokia Location services.
Foursquare Uses OpenStreetMap OSM and MapBox Streets For New, Pretty Maps
- Yep, that's correct, foursquare is now touting OSM as the basemap of choice! Announced today on the official foursquare blog (reserved usually for only BIG news) foursquare seems to think that the OSM maps are pretty and thus will be treating users to the sweet OSM maps thanks to some help from MapBox
Foursquare maps now using a OSM base
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
comScore Releases the 2012 Mobile Future in Focus Report
- The report highlights insights primarily from mobile markets in the United States, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, Japan, and Canada. From the report, Smartphone Platform Wars Intensify As Android and Apple Take the Lead in Most Markets
More news - LBSZONE.com /
Mobile Tech News
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit www.junipersys.com.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
GIS Mobile Guide System on iOS Platform
- To cooperate with the development of tourism in Yuanshan Recreational Agriculture Area, the system integrates the digital guidance information of several areas, Zhenshan, Dahudi, and Hengshangto.. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Avenza PDF Maps
- PDF Maps allows consumers to access information while at a destination, providing travelers an opportunity to make the most of their time experiencing their environment rather than searching for cell reception, a local store or passerby for directions.
Get Listed HERE
@gletham Social Tips
... Checkin to Google Places
- Share on Google G+ Via the New Google Maps Mobile on Android
Want More? Check out this
FYI, you can now Circle GISuser on Google+ - Find us HERE
|Sponsored by the University of Denver|
The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, and the Department of Geography are partnering to offer a Master of Science in Geographic Information Science delivered online for working adults. This online Master's Degree in Geographic Information Sciences recognizes the emerging importance of geographic information science and the importance of integrating advanced study in geographic information systems, remote sensing, and global positioning systems with traditional studies in human, cultural, and physical geography.
Learn more about the University of Denver's Master of Science in Geographic Information Science
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 10,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Hexagon 2012 - Think Forward at the annual event, June 4-7, 2012, Las Vegas, NV
Announcing The 2012 Esri #DevMeetup Schedule - Some news for developers interested in meeting other Esri developers or perhaps looking for a stage where they can present a lightning talk to other GeoGeek in their local tech community. Save the date, June 4-7, 2012, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Where2.0 - where the people working on and using location technologies come together to explore best practices and emerging trends in software development, tools, business strategies, and marketing. April 2-4, 20112, San Francisco, CA.
Esri Developer Summit - The Esri Developer Summit (DevSummit) brings together developers and GIS professionals from all over the globe. March 26-29, 2012 in Palm Springs, CA. The DevSummit features user presentations detailing GIS success stories, technical sessions on hot topics and new software functionality, and one-on-one advice from Esri development staff.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
Geographic Information Systems(GIS) Programmer/Analyst, Greeley CO
- Within the IT Division under the direction of the GIS Manager, the GIS Programmer/Analyst will perform advanced levels of GIS analysis, development, and management in associated with the City's Enterprise GIS Program.
GIS Pre-sales and Support Technician (Skygone)
- Growing geospatial-focused cloud computing firm, Skygone, is looking for an entry to middle level experience GIS analyst and/or support technician with desktop, server, and web-based geospatial application experience in the Columbus, OH (Dublin) area.
GIS Technologist, Edmonton AB
- The focus of this position is to load, validate and publish location-based pipeline asset data for clients within Enbridge. Currently, data is typically published as hardcopy and digital maps and drawings. In the future, this position will be responsible for designing and publishing Web-enabled maps for desktop and mobile devices.
Support Analyst - GIS, Charlotte (Esri)
- Do you have a unique combination of strong technical and customer service skills? Learn about the latest Esri technology in this consultative support role while providing timely, expert assistance to our customers by phone, e-mail, and chat. Join the team whose mission is to put into practice Esri's long standing commitment of servicing and responding to our user community.
Product Manager - Linear Referencing (Esri)
- Guide a team that is charged with defining, building, and releasing software products focused on linear referencing systems and highway data management. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
Using Social Media and Twitter To Land The Perfect Job - Tips, Tricks, Trends and a Happy Ending
- Like many of you, I'm sure you're astounded by the number of your contacts, friends, and associates that have changed jobs recently. I receive regular updates via my LinkedIn service that tells me just how many of my contacts have changed their job and the number blows my mind! Finding a job is challenging indeed, however, more and more folks are turning to Twitter for that edge.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by SuperGeo|
SuperSurv 3 - Mobile APP for Android
Especially designed for Android mobile devices, SuperSurv 3 is a mobile GIS application integrating with GIS and GPS technologies for field users who demand for cost-effective and effortless spatial data collection. With SuperSurv 3, you can complete efficient data collection, GPS position, map display, query, measure, and waypoint guidance tasks. Learn more on www.supergeotek.com
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 19,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
The Dawn of a New Industry - Internet Video Production and Marketing
- Learn what it takes to produce online videos that drive sales, leads and publicity for your business. "The Dawn of a New Industry - Internet Video Production and Marketing" explains why Internet video is growing at such a rapid pace and offers tips on how to begin your own video marketing campaigns.
iPass Mobile Enterprise Research Report
- This industry IT survey provides insight into usage and cost trends, recommendations and a policy guide for managing enterprise mobility for IT Management and CIOs. You will find data on a broad range of mobile connectivity issues. Find out how your organization compares and what you can do to manage connectivity to ensure mobile worker productivity and control costs.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list