Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Job - Lead Developer (Gannett Fleming, IL)
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome once again to another busy GeoTech industry news roundup.
Like many of you, I've been in shock watching the images come online
from Colorado, in particular from the Springs where the fires rage, my thoughts are with everyone there! A reminder of a couple of mapping resources providing updates on the wildfire situation. Just today Esri has released a social news map. The continuously updated wildfire map from Esri shows current fire locations and geo-located social media content and is designed for simple sharing
. For monitoring the High Park Fire near Fort Collins, a reminder of the fine WMS from Dave Bouwman (@dbouwman) and the gang and the Wildfire Viewer
- the team has secured more bandwidth to handle the load and is constantly updating and improving the service and also looking to include more sources of local knowledge/input, a crucial resource in such a situation. After viewing some of the conversations taking place regarding data issues I'm pretty sure the topic of the response by the Geo crowd is going to be a hot one at this year's UC in San Diego! Finally, for those of you who watched this year's Google I/O event I have to wonder how many of you have pre-ordered the Nexus 7
tablet? A possible game changer, this 7" Android tablet from Google is sub $200 and sports loads of functionality, the new Android "Jelly Bean
" OS, along with tight Google Play integration. The company also announced a new PDK
(platform development kit) for Android to help device makers roll out solutions running Android - this could be exciting for our industry indeed! With a million Android device activations per day you developers can't ignore developing for this platform!
Have you hit the newly revamped AnyGeo blog
? I've updated to a new thems and polished things up a little - I hope you like it! Some recent updates include a cool video from Google showing off the Project Glass launch; details of a $30 a month BB messenger plan from Boost; details of new 3D imagery for GE mobile; and details of a fantastic opportunity for students from Trimble. Have a great week and remember to find us on Twitter @gletham and @GISuser and those of you looking to hire a Geo professional please consider using our fabulous GISuser Career Center
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by SAIC|
SAIC GeoRover® products provide powerful tools for Esri® ArcGIS® and Google® Earth designed to increase speed, efficiency, and productivity in common GIS workflows. For nearly a decade, GeoRover products have enabled GIS users across all fields to streamline the process of collecting, creating, editing, and sharing data for analysis.
Download now for free.
Google Maps Coordinate for Workforce Management (link fixed, oops!)
- Something new this week out of the Google Lat/Long blog for the enterprise - Google Maps Coordinate, a workforce management tool designed to improve communication between businesses and mobile workers and enable collaboration between teams with your mobile assets.
Video - Visualizing Historical Tornado tracks
- Created by IDV Solutions using some 50+ years of historical hurricane track data, this animation walks you through hurricane season from 1951-2011. About the 3 minute clip. Animation shows the annual migration of tornadoes northward throughout the season
The Trimble Survey Student Competition
- An amazing opportunity for students has been brought to my attention by Gene Roe of LiDARnews, Gene shares an update on the Trimble Survey Student Paper Competition. The winner of the contest will receive 4 nights' accommodation at the Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas, and round trip airfare or ground transportation to Las Vegas to attend Dimensions 2012 and present their paper. The approximate value of the prize is $4,500
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Google Announces Nexus 7, light, portable tablet for Google Play
- This week at Google I/O Google lifted the lid off their new tablet offering (Actually many of you will consider it an E reader) the Google Nexus 7. The device has a 7" screen and tight Google Play integration - ideal for watching videos and consuming digital media.
More Tech News!
Mobile Tech News
Offbeat and Cool!
Sea Level Rise Accelerating in U.S. Atlantic Coast HotSpot - Rates of sea level rise are increasing three-to-four times faster along portions of the U.S. Atlantic Coast than globally, according to a new U.S. Geological Survey report published in Nature Climate Change. Based on data and analyses included in the report, if global temperatures continue to rise, rates of sea level rise in this area are expected to continue increasing.
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email email@example.com for more info.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
Verde iPad app tracks your Carbon Footprint
- Verde, the new app for iPad, is a great tool that helps you monitor, conserve, reduce, and thus, minimize your carbon footprint. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Penn state
- This 11-credit certificate program is designed to help you acquire cutting-edge skills that you can immediately apply in the workplace, and it fulfills the requirements of the first year of Penn State's world-class online master's degree program in GIS..
Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by Avenza Systems|
Geographic Imager® transforms Adobe® Photoshop® into a powerful spatial imagery editing tool. Work with satellite imagery, aerial photography, orthophotos in GeoTIFF and other GIS image formats using Adobe Photoshop features such as transparencies, filters, and image adjustments. Maintain georeferencing and support for hundreds of coordinate systems and projections.
Visit The Avenza Website for more information.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Webinar - Better Crop Management Through Geospatial Technology - During this webinar, we will present a web solution based on Intergraph software and RapidEye satellite imagery. The solution relies on OGC standards to provide online data delivery and processing as a tool for management of agricultural areas. Using the Model Maker tool in ERDAS IMAGINE, algorithms for monitoring and change detection were developed and implemented and subsequently supplied as server-side geoprocesses using ERDAS APOLLO - June 26, 2012
2012 International Esri User Conference - July 23-27, San Diego CA. This is where you will work directly with more than 400 Esri developers, evaluate 330 Esri partners, share solutions in 300 user paper sessions, and discover the latest software tools in 250 tech workshops
URISA LiDAR Webinar Series - URISA, the Association for GIS Professionals, is offering a three part LiDAR webinar series for all members of the geospatial community. The final session of the series, Data Quality Control, is being presented on Wednesday, June 27th at 1 pm ET/ 10 am PT.
WhereCamp 5280 - Once again, this cool, unconference is in the planning stages and should take place in the near future in Denver, CO. Keep an eye on the website for more details and a date to be announced.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
Lead GIS Developer
- Gunther Douglas' client is seeking a Lead GIS Developer for a permanent opportunity in the South Denver/DTC area. The candidate will develop and deliver commercial GIS software solutions including support and growth of common mapping components, incorporation of third party GIS technology (such as ESRI), and web map services.
Lead Developer, IL
- We are currently seeking a Senior Developer to work on site at our Scott Air Force Base location. The Senior Developer role is a lead role for enterprise solutions development. This position will be primarily support our Department of Defense transportation logistics platform development for the United States Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) and may require limited travel.
Systems Engineer (SDI 006-12)
- Candidate must be able to identify system performance drivers, prioritize issues based on systems impact, must be adept at conduction technology assessments and conveying this information to the rest of the team. Significant software background is required, with the ability to use scripting languages such as Python to perform file IO, scientific programming and data analysis. Experience supporting proposal activities, including strong writing and presentation skills, are major plus.
Technical Specialist - Civil Infrastructure & GIS - 12WD11118
- With a focus on Autodesk's Building Information Modeling (BIM) solutions and their relevance to infrastructure, the Technical Specialist understands how Autodesk BIM solutions integrate CAD and GIS as well as revolutionizes workflows throughout the infrastructure lifecycle, including planning, design, construction and management.
Chief GIS Analyst and DBA, Texas
- The Houston-Galveston Area Council seeks a highly experienced senior level GIS Analyst and Database Administrator with strong skills in ESRI GIS version 10.x and ArcGIS Server (SQL).
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by Penn State World Campus|
Professionals in the demanding field of GIS and geospatial intelligence can advance their skills, knowledge, and careers through the highly regarded online graduate programs, offered by Penn State's World Campus. Get the flexibility of online courses - studying whenever and where you want - plus ongoing interaction with expert educators and fellow graduate students.
Visit Penn State World Campus online for more info.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 22,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Social Media Tip 5 Key Factors Transforming the Mobility of Field Services
- Free report from Technology Services Industry Association (TSIA) and ServiceMax uncovers the key factors driving highly mobile - and highly productive - field service organizations.
Demystifying The Cloud
- The first three chapters introduce the key concepts and terminologies of the Cloud. The remaining chapters cover the major implementations of Cloud Computing including Amazon Web Services, Google App Engine, OpenStack, Cloud Foundry and Microsoft Windows Azure. This guide targeted towards the beginner and intermediate developer with a basic understanding of web technologies.
Historical Map Collection Texas & Pacific Railway, 1873
- Map of the state of Texas showing the line and lands of the Texas and Pacific Railway reserved and donated by the State of Texas, 1873; 23x19
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list