Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Job - Technical Specialist Civil Infrastructure & GIS, Autodesk
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome once again to our Thursday edition GeoTech news roundup. To begin, some coolness out of the social-loco event that took place recently in San Fran. I've always been a big fan of hackathons, un-events and other cool networking opportunities - seriously, if you aren't taking advantage of such opportunities then you really are missing out! In these tough and competitive economic times the opportunities such events can provide you with can be priceless! Case in point, at the recently held Social - Loco event a week-end hackathon was held prior to the conference. Get this though, a 17 year high school student won the hack (along with a sweet prize of $10K) and then on top of that she was offered an internship with Facebook via a backstage visit at Social-Loco by one of the guest keynote speakers! If you have an app in development or have an idea for one then get out there and hack (or hit a Camp), what do you have to loose? See More Here
. Finally, on the topic of mobile we have updates on a new app for iPad that can track your carbon footprint, details of a new field data collection tool, and an update from Juniper Systems for the Mesa Rugged Notepad - see below for complete details.
I'm sure you've hit the AnyGeo blog
lately... if not you really should ;0) Some goodies posted recently include: a new video from Waze showing you the latest update; a first look at a new climate mapper from the U of Winnipeg; A video from Social-loco event; and an amazing video from B.C Canada describing how some First Nations are using Geo technology for their land registries - great stuff here! If you still can't get enough then be sure to also follow me via @GISuser and on my very own @gletham Twitter and consider also connecting with the community via the amazing GISuser LinkedIn Group
- well over 22,000 strong!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|SuperPad 3.1 Maximize Mobile GIS & Mapping Productivity|
Developed by SuperGeo, SuperPad 3.1 is a fully functional and cost-effective mobile GIS application. The whole new release with high accuracy and reliability will boost your productivity during field survey and outdoor mapping.
Featuring Smart editing toolbar, multi-lingual interface, flexible development environment, and enormous GIS capability, SuperPad 3.1 is your ideal solution for carrying out field operations.
See what's new at www.supergeotek.com
17 Year Old Pays $10 To Attend Big Brand Mobile Developer Hackathon, Wins, Gets Offer from facebook
- I've always been a big fan of hackathons, un-events and other cool networking events. in these tough and competitive economic times the opportunities such events can provide you with can be priceless! Case in point, at the recently held Social - Loco event in San Fran a week-end hakathon was held prior to the event.
Waze Yourself to Gas Deals with Waze 3.2
- Some pretty cool news via the Waze blog as the company has officially announced details of the new, Waze at R 3.2. Something really cool is special Waze deals for wazers that will get you reduced gas at participating retailers. According to the team some 2,000 fuel retailers around the US are offering wazers gas reduced from 5-10 cents per gallon - More info here in the PR
Mapping Canada With Climate Trend Mapper
- Climate Trend Mapper (CTM) from the University of Winnipeg, is an interactive desktop application with which users can visualize temperature and precipitation trends across Canada using Environment Canada's AHCCD data. This program makes it easy for users to visualize the climate data and trends.
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
SuperField 3.1, the Lightweight Mobile Software for Spatial Data Collection, Launched
- SuperField 3.1 and SuperPad 3.1 are both mobile GIS applications. SuperField 3.1 is designed for lightweight field-workers who require basic GIS functions to accomplish field investigation effectively.
More Tech News!
Mobile Tech News
Offbeat and Cool!
Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows - Conceived, designed and engineered entirely by Microsoft employees, and building on the company's 30-year history manufacturing hardware, Surface represents a unique vision for the seamless expression of entertainment and creativity
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit Juniper Systems.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
Deed Calls - Area - Perimeter app
- This app will enable real-estate agents, property financing officers, title officers, attorneys, construction contractors, and anyone working with real property to quickly convert angles and distance data into a boundary map. . Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Esri
- ArcGIS is an integrated collection of software products for all your GIS needs. It provides a standards-based platform for your work on the Web, mobile devices, and desktop applications. Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Webinar - Better Crop Management Through Geospatial Technology - During this webinar, we will present a web solution based on Intergraph software and RapidEye satellite imagery. The solution relies on OGC standards to provide online data delivery and processing as a tool for management of agricultural areas
2012 International Esri User Conference - July 23-27, San Diego CA. This is where you will work directly with more than 400 Esri developers, evaluate 330 Esri partners, share solutions in 300 user paper sessions, and discover the latest software tools in 250 tech workshops
URISA LiDAR Webinar Series - URISA, the Association for GIS Professionals, is offering a three part LiDAR webinar series for all members of the geospatial community. The final session of the series, Data Quality Control, is being presented on Wednesday, June 27th at 1 pm ET/ 10 am PT.
WhereCamp 5280 - Once again, this cool, unconference is in the planning stages and should take place in the near future in Denver, CO. Keep an eye on the website for more details and a date to be announced.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
Technical Specialist - Civil Infrastructure & GIS - 12WD11118
- With a focus on Autodesk's Building Information Modeling (BIM) solutions and their relevance to infrastructure, the Technical Specialist understands how Autodesk BIM solutions integrate CAD and GIS as well as revolutionizes workflows throughout the infrastructure lifecycle, including planning, design, construction and management.
Chief GIS Analyst and DBA, Texas
- The Houston-Galveston Area Council seeks a highly experienced senior level GIS Analyst and Database Administrator with strong skills in ESRI GIS version 10.x and ArcGIS Server (SQL).
Remote Sensing Analyst, Victoria BC, Canada
- ASL is seeking to recruit a suitably experienced and qualified remote sensing analyst to join their 48 person team in Victoria, British Columbia on a full time, continuing basis starting immediately.
- Blue Marble Geographics is seeking an experienced Software Developer to assist with implementing the next generation of our industry standard GIS software tools. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to analyze, design and implement large software development projects.
Orthophoto Analyst, FL
- Watershed Sciences, Inc. (WSI) is in search of and individual to fill a full-time, regular position for an Orthophoto Analyst in the Portland office. We are looking to fill this position immediately.
Learn Like It's Your Job: 18 Portable Skills Every Recent College Graduate Should Have
- I recently received an update from Vickie Milazzo, author of the New York Times bestseller Wicked Success Is Inside Every Woman. In her latest report she looks at the high unemployment rate experienced by recent college grads and provides some pointers to skills that these grads should focus on moving forward.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by SAIC|
SAIC GeoRover® products provide powerful tools for Esri® ArcGIS® and Google® Earth designed to increase speed, efficiency, and productivity in common GIS workflows. For nearly a decade, GeoRover products have enabled GIS users across all fields to streamline the process of collecting, creating, editing, and sharing data for analysis.
Download now for free.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Social Media Tip Ubuntu: An Absolute Beginners Guide
- his 30 page guide was written for beginners and will tell you everything you need to know about the Ubuntu experience. You will learn how to install and setup Ubuntu on your computer, find technical support in your community, understand the Ubuntu philosophy, navigate the Unity desktop interface and use Ubuntu compatible software programs. Also with this free guide you will receive daily updates on new cool websites and programs in your email for free courtesy of MakeUseOf.
Java Essential Training
- The course demonstrates how to install both Java and the Eclipse IDE and dives into the particulars of programming. The course also explains the fundamentals of Java, from creating simple variables, assigning values, and declaring methods to working with strings, arrays, and subclasses; reading and writing to text files; and implementing object oriented programming concepts. Exercise files are included with the course.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list