Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Job - Technical Specialist Civil Infrastructure & GIS, Autodesk
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome once again to another GISuser industry roundup. I'm putting the finishing touches on this blast at about 10 PM and I notice that we still have daylight here - a reminder the soltice is rapidly approaching and I have to wonder, what happened to Spring? Indeed, this time of year on Vancouver Island we get daylight/dusk till around 10:20 PM for a nice long day... pretty sweet when we actually get a sunny day! Speaking of Vancouver Island, some details from our very own CloverPoint Cartographics (Happy 20th Birthday to them!) and their pretty darned cool MapSocial - the first Web 3.0 mapping framework to include real-time collaborative editing within Facebook. Jeff Warwick, CloverPoint's CEO and long-time mapping evangelist has stated, "We wanted the power of mapping in the hands of the users." I have to say, this is pretty darned cool stuff. I've tested it out for myself and wish I had more time to use it although I will be when time permits, hopefully you will also. For more about MapSocial (beta) find it on facebook at http://apps.facebook.com/mapsocial
or see also the MapSocial website mapsocial.cloverpoint.com
- great stuff guys! Oh, and speaking of revolutionary, Esri has released complete details (FYI, a free 30 day eval is available to orgs) for the new, ArcGIS Online for organizations. This really could be a game changer and no doubt will be a big topic at this year's ESRIUC next month in San Diego - See More HERE
Some recent of the updates and tech tips I've shared with the community via the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
) this week - GITA Oil & Gas Conference is a Go! A reminder of a number of great GeoTech career opportunities; Details of flag day and the US Army's birthday; and how about a very short user poll asking What kind of Tablet will you purchase next?
Have a great week everyone and be sure to follow me on Twitter @gletham and catch all the Geo news updates via @GISuser.
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|SuperPad 3.1 Maximize Mobile GIS & Mapping Productivity|
Developed by SuperGeo, SuperPad 3.1 is a fully functional and cost-effective mobile GIS application. The whole new release with high accuracy and reliability will boost your productivity during field survey and outdoor mapping.
Featuring Smart editing toolbar, multi-lingual interface, flexible development environment, and enormous GIS capability, SuperPad 3.1 is your ideal solution for carrying out field operations.
See what's new at www.supergeotek.com
GIS Application Feature - Disaster Prevention Area Planning
- Earthquakes with high magnitude occur often in Taiwan, situated in Circum-Pacific seismic zone. Thus, urban planning system and disaster prevention planning are more important than any other issues in Taiwan. With SuperGIS Desktop 3, researchers not only built the spatial data of urban disaster prevention but also planned and analyzed the temporary shelter range
Feature - Empower the Non-GIS User with Advance Geospatial Functionality
- For far too long, the utility of geospatial solutions has been locked in the domain of professionals who are highly trained in GIS. While these experts play a major role in incorporating geospatial data for decision-making within the enterprise, non-GIS users are often completely disconnected from the overall geospatial lifecycle of information. Read on for more in this feature from Intergraph
Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows
- Conceived, designed and engineered entirely by Microsoft employees, and building on the company's 30-year history manufacturing hardware, Surface represents a unique vision for the seamless expression of entertainment and creativity.
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Mapping Canada With Climate Trend Mapper
Climate Trend Mapper is an interactive desktop application with which users can visualize temperature and precipitation trends across Canada using Environment Canada's AHCCD data. For temperature, you can map the trends in the maximum, minimum and mean temperatures. For precipitation, you can map the trends for rain, snow and total precipitation.
More Tech News!
Mobile Tech News
Offbeat and Cool!
The dtswildfire Flex WMS for Colorado High Park Fire #highparkfire - there's been much local attention, particularly via Twitter, paid to the webmap developed by Mapbiquity showing regular updates to the fire footprint (data via Geomac) along with other relevant data products (like shelter info etc.), however, there's also another fabulous WMS sharing regular updates on the situation and the progress of the fire.
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit Juniper Systems.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
2012 Apple WWDC Keynote Recap
- The following are some of the key numbers I picked up on, a few items that I thought were way cool and/or interesting, and some details about the new Apple Maps (perhaps the biggest news) coming with iOS. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Blue Marble Geographics
- Blue Marble Geographics of Gardiner, Maine is a leading developer and provider of geographic software products that provide sensible solutions for users and developers of geographic data. Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Webinar - Learn How GIS Technology Helps the Future of Health Care - Join Jason Haley, GIS manager for the advanced health care data company Stratasan, and Dr. Devon A. Cancilla, dean, business and technology at American Sentinel University, as they explore how hospitals and the trillion-dollar health care industry are benefitting from GIS technology to improve the financial bottom line in a complimentary webinar, 'Mapping Health Care with GIS' on Wednesday, June 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. EDT.
2012 International Esri User Conference - July 23-27, San Diego CA. This is where you will work directly with more than 400 Esri developers, evaluate 330 Esri partners, share solutions in 300 user paper sessions, and discover the latest software tools in 250 tech workshops
URISA LiDAR Webinar Series - URISA, the Association for GIS Professionals, is offering a three part LiDAR webinar series for all members of the geospatial community. The final session of the series, Data Quality Control, is being presented on Wednesday, June 27th at 1 pm ET/ 10 am PT.
WhereCamp 5280 - Once again, this cool, unconference is in the planning stages and should take place in the near future in Denver, CO. KEep an eye on the website for more details and a date to be announced.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
Chief GIS Analyst and DBA, Texas
- The Houston-Galveston Area Council seeks a highly experienced senior level GIS Analyst and Database Administrator with strong skills in ESRI GIS version 10.x and ArcGIS Server (SQL).
Remote Sensing Analyst, Victoria BC, Canada
- ASL is seeking to recruit a suitably experienced and qualified remote sensing analyst to join their 48 person team in Victoria, British Columbia on a full time, continuing basis starting immediately.
- Blue Marble Geographics is seeking an experienced Software Developer to assist with implementing the next generation of our industry standard GIS software tools. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to analyze, design and implement large software development projects.
Orthophoto Analyst, FL
- Watershed Sciences, Inc. (WSI) is in search of and individual to fill a full-time, regular position for an Orthophoto Analyst in the Portland office. We are looking to fill this position immediately.
Chief Information Officer, IL
- Peoria County is located in central Illinois about 165 miles southwest of Chicago. From every important measure, Peoria County is an exceptional quality of life and very affordable community. The County government is politically, administratively and financially strong and stable.
Learn Like It's Your Job: 18 Portable Skills Every Recent College Graduate Should Have
- I recently received an update from Vickie Milazzo, author of the New York Times bestseller Wicked Success Is Inside Every Woman. In her latest report she looks at the high unemployment rate experienced by recent college grads and provides some pointers to skills that these grads should focus on moving forward.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $79
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by SAIC|
SAIC GeoRover® products provide powerful tools for Esri® ArcGIS® and Google® Earth designed to increase speed, efficiency, and productivity in common GIS workflows. For nearly a decade, GeoRover products have enabled GIS users across all fields to streamline the process of collecting, creating, editing, and sharing data for analysis.
Download now for free.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
Social Media Tip Old Computer, New Life: Restoring Old Hardware With Ubuntu
- The computer industry has evolved over the years more rapidly than any industry in contemporary history. Year after year engineers have worked valiantly to bring us, the end users, faster and more capable hardware without sacrificing reliability. Programmers and application developers have been equally quick to develop new software that puts to use the new hardware specifications.
Java Essential Training
- The course demonstrates how to install both Java and the Eclipse IDE and dives into the particulars of programming. The course also explains the fundamentals of Java, from creating simple variables, assigning values, and declaring methods to working with strings, arrays, and subclasses; reading and writing to text files; and implementing object oriented programming concepts. Exercise files are included with the course.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list