Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
Geo Career - Support Analyst - Server (Esri)
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome to another Geo tech news roundup. No doubt some of you are in D.C this week taking in the Esri Federal GIS Conference (that's right, GIS Conference, not "user conference") that was actually a topic of discussion on the twitter stream yesterday which resulted in tweets being sent to a couple of different hashtags - the official tag #EsriFedCon and the un-official tag adopted out of habit #feduc. This actually served as a great lesson to event planners as to the importance of keeping a hashtag short and, most important, visibly sharing details well in advance so there's no confusion. No harm done although it did create a little confusion for a short time. Speaking of the conference, I dropped a blog post on just that topic; I titled it How to Follow the Esri Federal User Conference #EsriFedCon - see it here
. If you're interested in catching the plenary video... indeed Jack is always a pleasure to watch and listen to, some details and pointers are in this blog post
or you can jump directly to the event homepage
and you'll find pointers to videos there - kudos to Esri for getting the videos online FAST! Finally, if you aren't in D.C but are up to catching a fine Esri webinar, take note that Andy Gup and crew are hosting a webinar today titled Learn to Use HTML5 with Esri ArcGIS
- the first screening will be at 9 AM PST. Oh, and if Raster is your thing then make a note of the Intergraph/ERDAS webinar on Feb 28 titled Raster-accelerate Your GIS Server
Here's a few of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community via the (blog.gisuser.com
) which has been rocking lately!
62% of You Say You Are Addicted to The Internet - Females More Likely - some interesting research;
How to Follow the Esri Federal User Conference #EsriFedCon - some useful pointers and some fun here;
StreetViolence.org, Crowd Sourcing Crime reports and a Citizen Warning System on the Map - some mapping innovation using the crowd in UK; LoSo Social Location For Restaurants and Bars @LoSoapp - an interesting spin on the foursquare checkin! Finally, be sure to have a look around the GISuser career Center
as there's loads of new career opportunities listed - Good Luck! Employers, be sure to take advantage of this resource for your next hire!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by SuperGeo|
SuperSurv 3 - Mobile APP for Android
Especially designed for Android mobile devices, SuperSurv 3 is a mobile GIS application integrating with GIS and GPS technologies for field users who demand for cost-effective and effortless spatial data collection. With SuperSurv 3, you can complete efficient data collection, GPS position, map display, query, measure, and waypoint guidance tasks. Learn more on www.supergeotek.com
Expert Feature - Creativity Not Just For Cartographers: Geo Analysts Need It Too
- What do GIS analysis and creativity have in common? Quite a lot, actually. While it may seem that geo analytical work is solely a left-brained affair and thus the opposite of creativity, there are, in fact, many ways in which creativity is fundamental to geo analysis. Thanks to Gretchen Peterson for this fine contribution.
10 Must Read, Recent GISuser Geo, Social, and Mobile Features, Blogs and Spotlights to Check out!
- Another busy week in GISuser Feature content and Geo Tech Spotlights. The following are 10 recent GISuser feature articles, blog posts and app spotlights that you should be sure to check out... some fine pointers and good reading here! Enjoy...
Esri Federal Conference Day 1 - Favorite Tweets and Tips How To Follow the Event
- It's no simple task monitoring all the tweets from the Esri Federal Conference but we can try! The following are just a few of the very interesting tweets I picked up on from Day 1 of the #EsriFedCon - Enjoy...
StreetViolence.org, Crowd Sourcing Crime reports and a Citizen Warning System on the Map
- Here's the idea. using the service (See StreetViolence.org) the user located a place on a map and reports details of a violent crime that took place, perhaps a mugging, or some other crime or act of violence. The user then tags the post as an appeal for a witness, a simple warning to others, or to thank passers by for helping out. there's also an option to report the crime to local police
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Juniper Systems Introduces the Mesa for Hazardous Locations
- The Mesa for Hazardous Location is designed specifically for the intrinsically safe market and now allows users to safely collect data where potentially explosive gases, liquids, or vapors may be present.
Using Social Media and Twitter To Land The Perfect Job - Tips, Tricks, Trends and a Happy Ending
Mobile Tech News
- Like many of you, I'm sure you're astounded by the number of your contacts, friends, and associates that have changed jobs recently. I receive regular updates via my LinkedIn service that tells me just how many of my contacts have changed their job and the number blows my mind! Finding a job is challenging indeed, however, more and more folks are turning to Twitter for that edge.
@gletham Social Tips
... Get Your business listed so people can checkin
- 10 Killer Resources For Listing your Business For Social Location Services
Want More? Check out this
FYI, you can now Circle GISuser on Google+ - Find us HERE
More news - LBSZONE.com /
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Trimble|
It no longer takes a GIS expert to add expertise to your GIS. With the new Trimble®: Juno® series get more out of the field and into your GIS than ever before. Your mobile workforce is empowered with a GPS-based data collection system for everyday field work. Delivered in a compact package resistant to dust, water, and shock, the Trimble Juno provides integrated positioning, imaging, and communications for total flexibility.
Visit Trimble.com/Juno for more info.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
GIS Mobile Guide System on iOS Platform
- To cooperate with the development of tourism in Yuanshan Recreational Agriculture Area, the system integrates the digital guidance information of several areas, Zhenshan, Dahudi, and Hengshangto.. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Blue Marble
- Blue Marble Geographics of Gardiner, Maine is a leading developer and provider of geographic software products that provide sensible solutions for users and developers of geographic data.
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by Avenza Systems|
Geographic Imager® transforms Adobe® Photoshop® into a powerful spatial imagery editing tool. Work with satellite imagery, aerial photography, orthophotos in GeoTIFF and other GIS image formats using Adobe Photoshop features such as transparencies, filters, and image adjustments. Maintain georeferencing and support for hundreds of coordinate systems and projections.
Visit The Avenza Website for more information.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 10,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Announcing The 2012 Esri #DevMeetup Schedule - Some news for developers interested in meeting other Esri developers or perhaps looking for a stage where they can present a lightning talk to other GeoGeek in their local tech community.
Webinar - Raster-accelerate Your GIS Server - During this webinar, we will demonstrate the performance of ERDAS APOLLO Essentials - Image Web Server and its ability to seamlessly integrate with existing vector-based GIS servers such as Geomedia Webmap, ArcGIS Server, Geoserver and Autodesk Mapguide.
where the people working on and using location technologies come together to explore best practices and emerging trends in software development, tools, business strategies, and marketing. April 2-4, 20112, San Francisco, CA.
Esri Developer Summit - The Esri Developer Summit (DevSummit) brings together developers and GIS professionals from all over the globe. March 26-29, 2012 in Palm Springs, CA. The DevSummit features user presentations detailing GIS success stories, technical sessions on hot topics and new software functionality, and one-on-one advice from Esri development staff.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Technologist, Edmonton AB
- The focus of this position is to load, validate and publish location-based pipeline asset data for clients within Enbridge. Currently, data is typically published as hardcopy and digital maps and drawings. In the future, this position will be responsible for designing and publishing Web-enabled maps for desktop and mobile devices.
Support Analyst - GIS, Charlotte (Esri)
- Do you have a unique combination of strong technical and customer service skills? Learn about the latest Esri technology in this consultative support role while providing timely, expert assistance to our customers by phone, e-mail, and chat. Join the team whose mission is to put into practice Esri's long standing commitment of servicing and responding to our user community.
GIS Developer, MD
- We are currently seeking an experienced GIS application developer to join our team of talented IT professionals. You will work with the team to create innovative web-based geospatial solutions for our clients, including web mapping applications and geospatial web services. The ideal candidate must be passionate about their work, have excellent problem solving skills, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with the latest technologies.
Product Manager - Linear Referencing (Esri)
- Guide a team that is charged with defining, building, and releasing software products focused on linear referencing systems and highway data management. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
developer resource from a Vancouver-based startup - PhoneGap
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email email@example.com for more info.
The following resources and information leads have been recently posted to the Spatial Media properties:
you can connect with more than 18,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
iPass Mbile Enterprise Research Report
- This industry IT survey provides insight into usage and cost trends, recommendations and a policy guide for managing enterprise mobility for IT Management and CIOs. You will find data on a broad range of mobile connectivity issues. Find out how your organization compares and what you can do to manage connectivity to ensure mobile worker productivity and control costs.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list