Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
Geo Career - GIS Technical Systems Analyst, Washington State
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome to another Tuesday Geo tech news roundup. Kicking things off this week, an update from the USGS about Landsat 5
as the bird's Earth imaging operations have been suspended for an additional 90 days while the U.S. Geological Survey Flight Operations Team (FOT) continues to investigate options for the resumption of imaging. Recall that Landsat 5 imaging was halted in November 2011 when an electronic component vital to transmission of the satellite's Thematic Mapper (TM) data began showing signs of imminent failure. And more "Space" news as NASA celebrates the 50th anniversary of
John Glenn's NASA program changing flight on board Friendship 7 that took him into orbit Feb20, 1962. Of interest, Glenn was supposed to remain in space longer, but Flight Director Chris Kraft cut the mission short after a malfunction light came on showing that the heat shield might have come loose - See More HERE
. Fast forward to today, you Android device users take note as Google has rolled out an update for your Google maps mobile app. The app boasts a number of updated features including better battery performance but perhaps most noticeably you'll get a real kick out of the new checkin functionality - it's awesome! See my first look here
Here's a few of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community at (blog.gisuser.com
); ArcGIS Online is now available in 9 more languages; Latitude Geographics Featured in Canada's National Newspaper (The Globe and Mail) For Hiring Interns; LoSo Social Location For Restaurants and Bars @LoSoapp - a cool take on the social checkin; 50 Years Later at NASA - Glenn Launch Highlighted Changing World; $100K Student Scholarships from the USGIF Up For Grabs - students need to take note of this opportunity. Have a great week all! You can always reach me @gletham or on @GISuser. Be sure to have a look around the GISuser career Center
as a number of new Career opportunities have been listed this week... Employers, be sure to take advantage of this resource for your next hire! Enjoy your Fat Tuesday ya'll...
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by SuperGeo|
SuperSurv 3 - Mobile APP for Android
Especially designed for Android mobile devices, SuperSurv 3 is a mobile GIS application integrating with GIS and GPS technologies for field users who demand for cost-effective and effortless spatial data collection. With SuperSurv 3, you can complete efficient data collection, GPS position, map display, query, measure, and waypoint guidance tasks. Learn more on www.supergeotek.com
NASA - 50 Years Later - Glenn Launch Highlighted Changing World
- The Beatles were eight months away from releasing their first single, "Love Me Do," when John Glenn rocketed into space on Feb. 20, 1962, to become the first American to orbit Earth.
USGIF announced the opening of its 2012 Scholarship Program
- The United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation (USGIF) today announced the opening of its 2012 Scholarship Program. Students studying geospatial intelligence or a related field are encouraged to submit their applications by the April 20 deadline.
Latitude Geographics @geocortex Featured in Canada's National Newspaper For Hiring Interns
- Kudos to fellow GeoGeek and U Vic alum Steven Myhill-Jones, founder of Latitude Geographics (Think Esri Platinum Business Partner and developers of GeoCortex) for a fine writeup this week in The Globe & Mail, Canada's National newspaper, in an interesting report on the hiring of interns and how they can really pay off for a small business.
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
ESRI Updates - ArcGIS for SilverLight 1.0 and Now ArcGIS Online in 9 More Languages
- Cool news from the campus in Redlands CA today as Esri has announced that ArcGIS Online has localized for another 9 languages adding support for Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish.
Announcing The 2012 Esri #DevMeetup Schedule
Mobile Tech News
- Some news for developers interested in meeting other Esri developers or perhaps looking for a stage where they can present a lightning talk to other GeoGeek in their local tech community.
@gletham Social Tips
... Get Your business listed so people can checkin
- 10 Killer Resources For Listing your Business For Social Location Services
Want More? Check out this
FYI, you can now Circle GISuser on Google+ - Find us HERE
More news - LBSZONE.com /
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Trimble|
It no longer takes a GIS expert to add expertise to your GIS. With the new Trimble®: Juno® series get more out of the field and into your GIS than ever before. Your mobile workforce is empowered with a GPS-based data collection system for everyday field work. Delivered in a compact package resistant to dust, water, and shock, the Trimble Juno provides integrated positioning, imaging, and communications for total flexibility.
Visit Trimble.com/Juno for more info.
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
PetroTrek Optimization and Production Surveillance software
- New Web-based software creates unprecedented enhancement of production surveillance and optimization. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Blue Marble
- Blue Marble Geographics of Gardiner, Maine is a leading developer and provider of geographic software products that provide sensible solutions for users and developers of geographic data.
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by Avenza Systems|
Geographic Imager® transforms Adobe® Photoshop® into a powerful spatial imagery editing tool. Work with satellite imagery, aerial photography, orthophotos in GeoTIFF and other GIS image formats using Adobe Photoshop features such as transparencies, filters, and image adjustments. Maintain georeferencing and support for hundreds of coordinate systems and projections.
Visit The Avenza Website for more information.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 10,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Registration now open - 2012 Washington GIS Conference #WAurisa - GeoGeeks in the PacNW, take note of the date, May 7-9, 2012 for the 2012 Washington GIS Conference. This year's event has a theme "Communicating Spatial Knowledge" and will take place in Tacoma, Washington. Deadline for proposals is March 26.
Webinar - Raster-accelerate Your GIS Server - During this webinar, we will demonstrate the performance of ERDAS APOLLO Essentials - Image Web Server and its ability to seamlessly integrate with existing vector-based GIS servers such as Geomedia Webmap, ArcGIS Server, Geoserver and Autodesk Mapguide.
where the people working on and using location technologies come together to explore best practices and emerging trends in software development, tools, business strategies, and marketing. April 2-4, 20112, San Francisco, CA.
Esri Developer Summit - The Esri Developer Summit (DevSummit) brings together developers and GIS professionals from all over the globe. March 26-29, 2012 in Palm Springs, CA. The DevSummit features user presentations detailing GIS success stories, technical sessions on hot topics and new software functionality, and one-on-one advice from Esri development staff.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Senior Analyst/Programmer, VA
- Oversees agency/County technological resources, providing supervision, guidance, support, consultation and training to user employees and/or the public in the installation, operation, application and maintenance of various types of information/communications technology; or leads work in the design, programming and maintenance of specialized computer software used in support of various and complex technology-related applications; does related work as required.
GIS Developer, MD
- We are currently seeking an experienced GIS application developer to join our team of talented IT professionals. You will work with the team to create innovative web-based geospatial solutions for our clients, including web mapping applications and geospatial web services. The ideal candidate must be passionate about their work, have excellent problem solving skills, and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with the latest technologies.
Product Manager - Linear Referencing (Esri)
- Guide a team that is charged with defining, building, and releasing software products focused on linear referencing systems and highway data management. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
Senior Software Test Lead, Esri
- Use your test planning, customer interaction, and release management skills to facilitate software testing and release to customers. In this role you will be part of ensuring high quality releases of software products and solutions.
Using Social Media and Twitter To Land The Perfect Job - Tips, Tricks, Trends and a Happy Ending
- Like many of you, I'm sure you're astounded by the number of your contacts, friends, and associates that have changed jobs recently. I receive regular updates via my LinkedIn service that tells me just how many of my contacts have changed their job and the number blows my mind! Finding a job is challenging indeed, however, more and more folks are turning to Twitter for that edge.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
developer resource from a Vancouver-based startup - PhoneGap
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email email@example.com for more info.
The following resources and information leads have been recently posted to the Spatial Media properties:
you can connect with more than 18,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
iPass Mbile Enterprise Research Report
- This industry IT survey provides insight into usage and cost trends, recommendations and a policy guide for managing enterprise mobility for IT Management and CIOs. You will find data on a broad range of mobile connectivity issues. Find out how your organization compares and what you can do to manage connectivity to ensure mobile worker productivity and control costs.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list