Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
Geo Career - GIS Technical Systems Analyst, Washington State
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome to another Thursday Geo tech news roundup. To begin, some interesting news and kudos from Avenza Systems as the company is touting the success of their innovative PDF Maps store (consultants, think business opportunity here
) - think iTunes store for mobile maps! This is an awesome revenue generating activity that anyone who creates awesome maps should consider using. It can easily complement your business as a fantastic way to share your map and you can also monetize your maps by selling them in the store. Everything is setup and configured for you, you simply use your own cartographic brilliance, Geo skills etc. create some great maps, and distribute them via the Map Store. See more details in this PR announcement
- FYI, The PDF Maps app recently won the International Map Trade Association best mapping product in the world for 2011. Speaking of mobile mapping, have you had a chance to check out the new rugged, Juno GPS
from Trimble? WOW... Two versions are available. The Juno 3B has an integrated GPS, a 5 MP autofocus camera and Windows Mobile software. The Juno 3D includes all of the features of the Juno 3B plus 3G wireless technology, which allows users to transfer data faster and stay connected to the office with an integrated mobile phone - See photo HERE
and catch all the specs HERE
Here's a few of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community at (blog.gisuser.com); ArcGIS Online is now available in 9 more languages; 10 Tips for the Tech Job Seeker And Using Social Media; GeoGeeks take note that ArcGIS for SilverLight 1.0 is available; a fun First Look - LipTricks Fun Valentine Mobile App for Android / iOS rates your Kiss! And for job seekers check out Using Twitter To Land A Job - Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions. Have a great week all! You can always reach me @gletham or on @GISuser. Be sure to have a look around the GISuser career Center
as a number of new Career opportunities have been listed this week... Employers, be sure to take advantage of this resource for your next hire!
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit www.junipersys.com.
Registration now open - 2012 Washington GIS Conference #WAurisa
- GeoGeeks in the PacNW, take note of the date, May 7-9, 2012 for the 2012 Washington GIS Conference. This year's event has a theme "Communicating Spatial Knowledge" and will take place in Tacoma, Washington. Deadline for proposals is March 26.
Webinar - Raster-accelerate Your GIS Server
- During this webinar, we will demonstrate the performance of ERDAS APOLLO Essentials - Image Web Server and its ability to seamlessly integrate with existing vector-based GIS servers such as Geomedia Webmap, ArcGIS Server, Geoserver and Autodesk Mapguide.
AnyGeo Blog ArcGIS for SilverLight 1.0
- Good news via the Esri dev blog for you ArcGIS developers interested in SilverLight as the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight 1.0 and ArcGIS for Sharepoint have been released. Users can now create a Silverlight-based web mapping app via an intuitive WYSIWYG App Builder. More about the SilverLight solutions from Esri...
ArcGIS for Silverlight 1.0
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
Your Guide to the Latest and Greatest Mobile Operating System iOS 5
- Now iOS 5 has been released, providing updates, tweaks and brand new features to make the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad even better and easier to use than before. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Penn state
- This 11-credit certificate program is designed to help you acquire cutting-edge skills that you can immediately apply in the workplace, and it fulfills the requirements of the first year of Penn State's world-class online master's degree program in GIS.
Get Listed HERE
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 10,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
where the people working on and using location technologies come together to explore best practices and emerging trends in software development, tools, business strategies, and marketing. April 2-4, 20112, San Francisco, CA.
Esri Developer Summit - The Esri Developer Summit (DevSummit) brings together developers and GIS professionals from all over the globe. March 26-29, 2012 in Palm Springs, CA. The DevSummit features user presentations detailing GIS success stories, technical sessions on hot topics and new software functionality, and one-on-one advice from Esri development staff.
Content & Apps for Automotive Europe 2012 - (18-19 April, Germany) will give you key insights on how in-vehicle connectivity is being revolutionised as OEMs integrate dynamic content to stay relevant throughout the vehicle life cycle.
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
10 Awesome Technology Career Opportunities for GeoGeeks, Geo developers and Geo Pros
- I love sharing and I really dig helping people. So, for some Friday fun I've elected top spend 20 minutes of my time putting together an awesome list of HOT Career opportunities for Geo/Tech professionals. Hopefully I can help bring together an employer and some talent - good luck!
- Chesapeake Bay Helicopters, Inc and CBH Plus are seeking a LiDAR Technician.
Excellent computer skills are mandatory. Experience working with LiDAR data is a must. Experience using Microstation, Global Mapper, Terraphoto, TerraScan, and ArcGIS, is preferred.
Senior Software Test Lead, Esri
- Use your test planning, customer interaction, and release management skills to facilitate software testing and release to customers. In this role you will be part of ensuring high quality releases of software products and solutions.
Product Manager - Linear Referencing (Esri)
- Guide a team that is charged with defining, building, and releasing software products focused on linear referencing systems and highway data management. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision, and the drive to make that vision a reality.
Using Social Media and Twitter To Land The Perfect Job - Tips, Tricks, Trends and a Happy Ending
- Like many of you, I'm sure you're astounded by the number of your contacts, friends, and associates that have changed jobs recently. I receive regular updates via my LinkedIn service that tells me just how many of my contacts have changed their job and the number blows my mind! Finding a job is challenging indeed, however, more and more folks are turning to Twitter for that edge.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
PDF Maps app recently won the International Map Trade Association best mapping product in the world for 2011
|Sponsored by the University of Denver|
The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, and the Department of Geography are partnering to offer a Master of Science in Geographic Information Science delivered online for working adults. This online Master's Degree in Geographic Information Sciences recognizes the emerging importance of geographic information science and the importance of integrating advanced study in geographic information systems, remote sensing, and global positioning systems with traditional studies in human, cultural, and physical geography.
Learn more about the University of Denver's Master of Science in Geographic Information Science
The following resources and information leads have been recently posted to the Spatial Media properties:
you can connect with more than 18,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
77 Features For Windows 7 That Every IT Professional Should Know About
- Windows 7 builds on Windows Vista's positives and eliminates many of the negatives. It adds new functionality, is less resource-hungry, and starts and shuts down noticeably faster. Whether you're upgrading from Vista or moving up from Windows XP, these 77 tips and tricks, along with other new and enhanced features, deliver improved performance and productivity, better troubleshooting, stronger security, and a whole lot more
Enterprise Mobility for Dummies
- Enterprise mobility concerns employees at every level. As you plan for 2012, let this book show you how easy it can be to mobilize--and transform--your enterprise.
From application development and deployment to management and security, any company can do it. Download your eBook guide now!
Top 5 Tips for Choosing Mobile Computers
- Dozens of manufacturers offer hundreds of devices in thousands of configurations, but only one may be best suited for your particular environment and workforce.
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list