Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Webinar, DIY Transportation Planning with Intergraph Remote Sensing
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome again to another busy Geo tech news update. Excuse the delay as I'm sicker than a dog today... hoping this passes really fast! Perhaps a few of you are still facepalming yourself over the news
that facebook has shelled out an astounding $1 billion for a small photo sharing company less than 2 years old and with just 13 employees... I know, indeed it does seem rediculous! Particularly troubling for facebook in this whole situation is the fact that immediately after the announcement there were loads of Instagram users wondering how they could remove their accounts! Ohmy... this should be a fun one to watch unfold. I'll also be curious to see what happens with Google and their plans for rolling Picnik, the amazing photo manipulation and enhancement tool, into their Picasa and G+ service. Oh, and then there's flickr. I'll admit that I've been a long time pro user
of the service but indeed, like many others, I really have to try hard to justify that expense now it seems! Finally, think on this one; according to analysts, facebook could have bought an estimated 13 bankrupt Kodak Corporations for the same price they paid for Instagram!
Some of the coolest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community via LBSzone and the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
) this week include; The Open Source Public Tree Inventory Platform - OpenTreeMap
, a complete, open source tree inventory system in a box! Are you interested in some JAva training? Check out this free training resource
; Esri has released their ArcGIS mobie mapping app for Kindle fire - now available in the Amazon Kindle shop; Facebook to buy Instagram
for $1 billion - wow!; Nokia and Nicki Minaj Illuminate Times Square for Lumia 900 Launch Party
- indeed Nokia and crew took over Times Square for an evening launch party; Last week end developers took part in the TED City Un-Hackathon
2.0 Equality Challenge.
Have a great week all, be sure to check out all the new Geo Career Opportunities
and remember that you can join us and 2,500+ other pros who've Joined us on facebook
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
|Sponsored by Avenza Systems|
Geographic Imager® transforms Adobe® Photoshop® into a powerful spatial imagery editing tool. Work with satellite imagery, aerial photography, orthophotos in GeoTIFF and other GIS image formats using Adobe Photoshop features such as transparencies, filters, and image adjustments. Maintain georeferencing and support for hundreds of coordinate systems and projections.
Visit The Avenza Website for more information.
King County GIS Delivers Significant Return on Investment
- In March 2012 a return-on-investment (ROI) report issued by Professor Richard Zerbe and Associates showed that County use of the King County Geographic Information System has resulted in at least $775 million in net benefits to the county over the eighteen-year period from 1992 to 2010.
Career Hunting Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions
- Finding a job can be a daunting task but it doesn't have to be. Many are turning to social media, in particular Twitter, to help score a new gig. Here's some helpful social media job hunting resources, a few tips, and some simple ideas that could help.
Video - OC Transpo Live Mobile App
- Carleton University Professor John Lambadaris, Carleton U graduate Aroosh Elahi and Carleton U Master's student Alex Craig teamed up to build an easy-to-use app for OC Transpo users. Available on the App Store as well as Android and Blackberry devices in May!
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
Using iOS 5: Your Guide to the Latest and Greatest Mobile Operating System
If you've upgraded but aren't sure what's new, or are considering upgrading but want to know what you're getting into, this manual from author Lachlan Roy is what you looking for. Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing ESRI Developer Network
- EDN is an annual subscription-based program that provides software developers with the resources needed to build solutions that embed ESRI desktop and server technologies. Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by the University of Denver|
The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, and the Department of Geography are partnering to offer a Master of Science in Geographic Information Science delivered online for working adults. This online Master's Degree in Geographic Information Sciences recognizes the emerging importance of geographic information science and the importance of integrating advanced study in geographic information systems, remote sensing, and global positioning systems with traditional studies in human, cultural, and physical geography.
Learn more about the University of Denver's Master of Science in Geographic Information Science
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
The Location Business Summit Europe 2012 - The 3rd annual Location Business Summit Europe is the biggest meeting place for hands on knowledge and networking within the mobile and location industry. Following our blockbuster events in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam last year, the biggest and best companies in the community will come together at the most influential LBS focused summit in the world. Save the date - May 22-23, 2012, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, Amsterdam
Video - Hexagon Conference Sights and Sounds - Ever wondered what it's like attending a Hexagon conference? This year's Think Forward 2012 Hexagon conference is scheduled to take place June 4-7 in Las Vegas and will host thousands of professionals that use solutions from ERDAS, Intergraph, and Leica Geosystems, all under one roof.
GeoDigital Extends LiDAR as Art - 2 Contest - There's no doubt that LiDAR imagery is pretty awesome! And so it's great to see that GeoDigital is continuing with the second round of their fun, LiDAR as Art competition. The new deadline for submitting your LiDAR as Art imagery is May 25, 2102.
FME 2012 World Tour - Join the gathering of FME adventurers in a city near you and learn about all the latest and greatest features and enhancements in FME 2012, discover new tips and tricks and best practices and connect with other FME users in your area.
Geocortex REST Technology Training - We support our user community through regional meetings and virtual get-togethers. Set aside part of a day and join colleagues for discussions and presentations around Geocortex technology. Apr. 17-19, 2012 Online
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
Software Development Intern
- If selected as a Software Development Intern, you will be supporting a innovative IT services delivery program. The Software Development Intern should be able to install and customize commercial Web applications for a new services offering. Interest in web and mobile applications, cloud computing, Hadoop/map reduced, IT virtualization, mathematics, Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards, and process/workflow improvement would be beneficial.
GIS Analyst, WA
- This role will serve as the subject matter expert on GIS production tasks, manage our SDE databases ,evaluate and develop tools to automate and improve our quality and efficiency, and assist in providing heavy analysis of the GIS data infrastructure behind INRIX?Ts traffic / location-based services
GIS Technician, PA
- We are seeking candidates for a full-time GIS Technician to perform a mix of real estate parcel editing, deed research and customer service for a water utility implementing an innovative stormwater management program. This work will be performed onsite at the client?s office and will be available beginning May 14, 2012.
Senior to Principal Geospatial Consultant - ArcFM (Australia)
- Right now, we're calling for a GIS professional with 7+years experience in the spatial sciences industry to join our National Geospatial team operating within our multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy. PB is seeking to grow our capability and depth of resources in response to emerging opportunities in the utilities, natural resources and transport infrastructure markets.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern
- Maintenance of accurate records, use of computer/office equipment, and communicating effectively with others are essential components of this job. Must be able to interpret and communicate highly technical information to non-technically trained individuals.
Support Analyst - GIS, Charlotte (Esri)
- Do you have a unique combination of strong technical and customer service skills? Learn about the latest Esri technology in this consultative support role while providing timely, expert assistance to our customers by phone, e-mail, and chat. Join the team whose mission is to put into practice Esri's long standing commitment of servicing and responding to our user community.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by Penn State World Campus|
Professionals in the demanding field of GIS and geospatial intelligence can advance their skills, knowledge, and careers through the highly regarded online graduate programs, offered by Penn State's World Campus. Get the flexibility of online courses - studying whenever and where you want - plus ongoing interaction with expert educators and fellow graduate students.
Visit Penn State World Campus online for more info.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
The Return on Investment of Open Source Data Integration
- More than a theoretical report, the ROI Study provides not only hard numbers but also the tools IT organizations need to assess the return on investment of open source, and to compare this ROI with the one of alternative options: manual coding, and proprietary data integration solutions.
Java Essential Training
- The course demonstrates how to install both Java and the Eclipse IDE and dives into the particulars of programming. The course also explains the fundamentals of Java, from creating simple variables, assigning values, and declaring methods to working with strings, arrays, and subclasses; reading and writing to text files; and implementing object oriented programming concepts. Exercise files are included with the course.
These Are The Droids You're Looking For: An Android Guide:
- Currently Android is the most common mobile operating system--and there's no sign that its popularity will wane anytime soon. If you're reading this guide, it's likely because you have an Android device. This 23 page guide will go over Android's history and the different versions on the market.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list