Expert Columns /
This newsletter is online
- Previous Edition
- Like Us!
Hexagon 2012 - Think Forward at the annual event, June 4-7
Hello Geo tech Professional...
Welcome again to another GeoTech Industry news roundup.
Hopefully by now you managed to catch some of the fine talks that were presented at Where2.0 this week in San Fran. If not, check out this page
where we have all the presentations embeded (thanks O'reilly) including the talks from Tues and Wed mornings and for some fun, be sure to check out the 5 minute lightning talks from Monday's Ignite event... some great stuff there as usual! And more Where2.0 goodies as I managed to share a few interesting tidbits from the Tuesday morning session - see my Where notes here
During the Wed. morning session there was a talk titled "NearFar News Through Data", where Jer Thorp (The NY Times) introduced us to the clever OpenPaths service, an community project initiated by the Research and Development Lab at the New York Times Company. Using their mobile apps you can track your location, visualize where you've been, and upload your data to the OpenPaths website. You can then download your data from the website in a variety of friendly formats, including KML, JSON, and CSV - more can be found here
Some of the latest tidbits and tech tips I've shared with the community via the AnyGeo (blog.gisuser.com
); Google Offers Beta In Select Areas - move over Groupon! Got Graffiti? There's an iPhone App For That - Graffiti Mapper from @SpatialNetworks - a slick app developed on Fulcrum; Cartifact Map Innovation Award Competition Announced - This opportunity for Geo developers gives you a chance at winning some great $$ prizes and get some nice headlines too! Top Prize is $10,000; Wow Technology - The PAL-V One The Flying Car - seriously, this is awesome!
Have a fantastic Easter Holiday to all, be sure to check out all the new Geo Career Opportunities
and remember that you can join us and 2,500+ other pros who've Joined us on Facebook
Share this newsletter with your colleagues!
Comments or Tips? Please Contact Us
First Multi-Agent Indoor Evacuation Simulation with IndoorOSM
- Indoor Evacuation Simulation with OpenStreetMap (IndoorOSM) data. The video below demonstrates a first multi-agent traffic simulation by GIScience Research Group, University of Heidelberg for the scenario of an emergency indoor evacuation.
Graffiti Mapper for iPhone from Spatial Networks
- Built on the Fulcrum platform, Spatial Networks development environment for building custom, location aware apps for iOS, the app enables users to quickly and easily tag and map locations of graffiti.
Where2.0 2012 Tuesday Morning Livestream Session
- On Tuesday there was a flurry of activity and a few announcements made at the popular Where2.0 conference - you know, the cool, geeky event attracting geeks from all walks of life who are interested in social, location, mobile, and other related technologies - but mostly location!
Featured Image - ISS tracking individual ships crossing the seas
Is your company, your app, your service, or you social media (twitter, facebook, YouTube,linkedIn group) listed in the GISuser Industry Directory? Get your Free GISuser Directory Listing HERE!
SuperGeo to Launch Upgraded Data Management Tools
- SuperGIS DataConvertor 3.1, a data conversion tool, allows users to convert the vector data or image data into the specified format that is defined by SuperGeo Technologies.
More news - LBSZONE.com /
Mobile Tech News
Off Beat & Cool!
Geo Tech Career Hunting Tips, Tricks, and Suggestions To Score an Interview - Finding a job can be a daunting task but it doesn't have to be. Many are turning to social media, in particular Twitter, to help score a new gig. Here's some helpful social media job hunting resources, a few tips, and some simple ideas that could help.
GIS news archive /
GIS RSS feed
|Sponsored by Blue Marble Geographics|
Global Mapper v13.1 from Blue Marble Geographics is a powerful and affordable GIS application combining comprehensive geospatial data processing tools with a variety of data formats such as LAS 1.4, LASzip, JeoJSON and DBDB-V. With new network licensing options, new Geospatial PDF functionality, webinars presented monthly and a 2012 training schedule, learn how Global Mapper can help you today!
Got news... Send your news, tips, article submissions or ? to
Geo Technology Apps for the iPhone and iOS Power and Enterprise User
The iPhone and iOS development environment has come on strong indeed, however, it's not only about Angry Birds, Social media clients, and mobile flatulants! There's a number of powerful, enterprise-scale apps available as well as many apps that are developed specifically for the enterprise user and GIS/mapping professional.
Looking for more iPhone, iPad and iOS news and tips? See HERE
Got details of a cool Geo app, WMS, or other service? Contact us
We maintain a huge GEO industry directory
with hundreds of listings. Are you listed? Make sure your company gets listed... we offer a Free, basic listing, or a more detailed, enhanced option
for a little more exposure and some awesome added SEO!
Featured Listing Skygone
- Skygone's depth and experience with geospatial technology, cloud computing, software-as-a-service (SaaS), virtualization, green technologies and data center consolidation services has made Skygone a go-to service provider for commercial and government customers around the globe.
Get Your Enhanced Directory listing HERE
Get Listed HERE
|Sponsored by MapText|
Need High-Quality Labeling for your Map Projects?
MapText is the leading provider of cartographic label-placement solutions for desktop and web applications worldwide. Our software is compatible with all major GIS systems (Autodesk Map, ArcGIS, GeoMedia, GeoMedia WebMap, MapInfo, Microstation). You get high-quality labels placed automatically for any kind of map or chart at incredible speeds. Online demos available upon request. Visit us online or email email@example.com for more info.
Each day in this section we'll update you about Geospatial conferences, training, seminars,
webinars, and relevant events. Feel free to make a suggestion for future consideration and be sure to see our Events Calendar. A Tip... Are you a on LinkedIn? If so then consider connecting with over 20,000 other GIS professionals via our GISuser LinkedIn Group and see also our facebook Page!
Esri DevMeetups 2012 - Some news for developers interested in meeting other Esri developers or perhaps looking for a stage where they can present a lightning talk to other GeoGeek in their local tech community. Events start April 11 in Tucson AZ and April 24 in Denver
The Location Business Summit Europe 2012 - The 3rd annual Location Business Summit Europe is the biggest meeting place for hands on knowledge and networking within the mobile and location industry. Following our blockbuster events in Silicon Valley and Amsterdam last year, the biggest and best companies in the community will come together at the most influential LBS focused summit in the world. Save the date - May 22-23, 2012, Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel, Amsterdam
ERDAS Webinars - DIY Transportation Planning with Intergraph's Remote Sensing and Data Management Tools - During this webinar, Intergraph will demonstrate how easy it is to use our remote sensing and data management tools to accomplish all the same workflows yourself. April 11, 2012
Hexagon 2012 - Think Forward at the annual event, June 4-7, 2012, Las Vegas, NV
View news about future events and webinars HERE
Interested in having GISuser help promote or deliver your webinar? Contact us
Send your event info to editor[at]gisuser.com to make sure you get listed in the Calendar
GIS Technician, PA
- We are seeking candidates for a full-time GIS Technician to perform a mix of real estate parcel editing, deed research and customer service for a water utility implementing an innovative stormwater management program. This work will be performed onsite at the client?s office and will be available beginning May 14, 2012.
Senior to Principal Geospatial Consultant - ArcFM (Australia)
- Right now, we're calling for a GIS professional with 7+years experience in the spatial sciences industry to join our National Geospatial team operating within our multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy. PB is seeking to grow our capability and depth of resources in response to emerging opportunities in the utilities, natural resources and transport infrastructure markets.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern
- Maintenance of accurate records, use of computer/office equipment, and communicating effectively with others are essential components of this job. Must be able to interpret and communicate highly technical information to non-technically trained individuals.
- Provides the primary Graphical Information System (GIS)-related services and functions that support Development Services activities. Serves the city staff contact for all City GIS liaisons between city departments, Burnet Central Appraisal District, Burnet County 911 Coordinator, and private surveying entities
Support Analyst - GIS, Charlotte (Esri)
- Do you have a unique combination of strong technical and customer service skills? Learn about the latest Esri technology in this consultative support role while providing timely, expert assistance to our customers by phone, e-mail, and chat. Join the team whose mission is to put into practice Esri's long standing commitment of servicing and responding to our user community.
Data Analyst, WA
- We're looking for a Data Analyst who enjoys consultative customer engagements solving data related problems, including transforming data from a business-process-optimized storage format to a consumption-optimized format. This is an ideal position for programmers and analysts interested in taking an active, participatory role in open government, transparency or open data.
Do you need a GIS professional on your team? Post Your Career Ad HERE for just $29
or ask us about our annual Career Posting Account option - unlimited job posting for a whole year! Post your job online and you'll also get attention via the GISuser LinkedIn Group and Twitter!
(To list your HOT Job for some added exposure and support our efforts, contact jobs at
gisuser.com - List your Career opportunity online for 60 days and right here in the newsletter)
Send your job ad to jobs[at]gisuser.com
<< Go To The career center >>
We maintain the fun, educational, and informative tech blog
AnyGeo - Anything geospatial. Look for tips, tricks, and commentary about GIS, Geo, mobile, social, and basically, anything geospatial!
|Sponsored by Juniper Systems|
The Mesa Rugged Notepad is the first of its kind, featuring the advantages of both a tablet PC and a rugged handheld computer, without the disadvantages of either. The Mesa Geo 3G includes integrated GPS, a 3.2MP camera, and an AT&T network-approved 3G data modem for excellent real-time wireless connectivity. Demo a Mesa Rugged Notepad today!
For more information, please visit Juniper Systems.
The following are some HOT articles and items of interest on GISuser:
you can connect with more than 20,000+ other GIS professionals via LinkedIn
via our popular GIS Professionals Group
- Also, connect with 2500 others via the GISuser facebook page
The Essentials of Mobile Computing in 2012
- The Essentials of Mobile Computing in 2012 brings together the latest in information, coverage of important developments, and expert commentary to help with your Mobile Computing related decisions. The following kit contents will help you get the most out of your Mobile Computing research
The Return on Investment of Open Source Data Integration
- More than a theoretical report, the ROI Study provides not only hard numbers but also the tools IT organizations need to assess the return on investment of open source, and to compare this ROI with the one of alternative options: manual coding, and proprietary data integration solutions.
Historical Map Collection Lewis and Clark's Track, 1814
- A map of Lewis and Clark's track across the western portion of North America, from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean : by order of the executive of the United States in 1804, 5 & 6 / copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clark; 19x40. This map is 40 inches long by 19 inches high!
ADVERTISE with Spatial Media LLC (GISuser.com, Amerisurv.com, MachineControlOnline.com, LiDARNews & LBSzone.com)Spatial Media LLC GISuser.com Media Kit
- our Media kit with rates and ad options is now available for those
interested in reaching customers via GISuser.com,LBSzone.com, SymbianOne.com, Amerisurv.com, and The American Surveyor Magazine. Interested in reaching a large, targeted audience of geospatial technology end-users, LBS professionals, technology managers, and key decision makers? Don't forget to start planning your 2011 ad placement and promotions with GISuser now!
more details and sponsorship information for online banner ads, newsletter sponsorship, and email list